Chapter 36

"Melanie," I heard someone saying in a coaxing way. Someone was holding my hand, too. Afraid of what I'd see, I opened my eyes and saw my parents sitting in chairs beside my bed. Gabriel was holding my hand, and I squeezed his gently as I smiled at him.

"It's time to wake up, sweetheart," Mom said, standing up. She'd put on a bit more weight, since I'd seen her last. How long had I been out?

"Are you ready to go?" Dad asked, placing his hand gently on my head and stroking my hair.

"Where am I going?"

"Back home, to Oakmont," Gabriel said, smiling at me.

"That's not home," I said, fear shooting through me.

"Of course it is. You know that. After your attack on General Sartrious, Oakmont won preference, and will be home to all of the telepaths and telekinetics," Dad said, still smiling. How could he be smiling?

"Sweetheart, they promised to make sure you had all the SHD you want, and they're already giving all the other kids their doses," Mom said.

"No!" I screamed, and woke up. I was covered in sweat, and shaking.

"Doctor, she's awake!" I heard someone yell. Looking around, I saw two nurses, and a moment later a doctor rushed in.

"She shouldn't be awake. She's had enough sedative to keep her out for another week," he said.

"Should we give her another dose?" the closest nurse asked, picking up a syringe.

"The amount she's received could do damage, if we keep it up," he told her, then looked at me. "Do it," he then said, just as she was about to put it down. With the little bit of information I had, I knew I didn't want that. I was a little surprised when I found my arms strapped down, and then my legs as well. Memories from my past came flooding back.

In that moment, I panicked, and all three of them were picked up and slammed into the wall. Not one of them got back up while I was there.

Using that same power, I ripped the restraints holding me down. Very carefully, I stood up. I was glad I had been slow, as my legs were very rubbery, but they were functional. Looking around, and gaining strength as I did, I looked for my clothes, but they weren't there. At that point, I was willing to live with it.

Very soon after my failed hunt, I was peeking out of the room, using my 'other' senses, not that I'd ever been really good at that. There were two guards outside, and several other people down the hall. The two guards were easy, as they were already sitting. I sent a small amount of energy, knocking them out. As usual, I hoped it only knocked them out.

Thinking about the two men down the hall, along with all of the other people around, I realized I needed to get out unseen, somehow. Then an idea came to me.

I opened the door and simply walked down the hall, no one ever seeing me. I did what I'd been accused of doing, sending very good and complex projections. This time, though, I let them see the corridor the way it was, but without me in it. Getting to the elevator, I knew there was no good way to convince everyone, so I went to the stairwell and headed down. Just as the door closed, I sent a probe into one of the nurses, to find out where I was.

Having gotten what I wanted, I walked down the stairwell, and out of the hospital. I looked around to get my bearings, then walked toward the front gate, having to repeat my earlier feat, but on a much larger scale. There were a lot more people and they were spread out over a much larger area. Sending a spaghetti collection of probes out, I didn't let anyone see me. Just as I had made my escape, I heard a faint alarm, and the gates shut behind me.