Chapter 9

After dinner that night, which was very chaotic, we went to a second living room, where a large TV was mounted on the wall. Everyone was watching one of those talent shows, and they were really into it. When one of the acts ended, they cheered loudly, along with the television audience.

What I noticed very quickly was that everyone in the house was young, the oldest being maybe seventeen. The exception of course was Grandpa, who couldn't have been older than thirty, if he was that old, which I seriously doubted. This was the weirdest experience I'd ever had, and I'd experienced some weird things in my life.

Something else was very obvious. There was alcohol out among the kids, and what I was pretty sure was different drugs. Amazingly, none of them touched my addiction response, so I was safe for the moment.

We all sat down, people moving to let all of us in. I'd taken my jacket off long ago, and was wearing a blue plaid skirt with dark blue tights, similar to the outfit that Mr. Ciansa had given me so long ago. I had liked that outfit so much, I'd maintained some version of it ever since. Of course, the tights were a bad choice, considering how hot it was.

There were a lot of kids trying to sit on this couch, not to mention the other one, so we were packed in pretty tight. I ended up on Gabriel's lap, with Eliana on mine. Ben sat on Aliyah's lap, and she managed to sit directly on the couch.

As everyone watched the program, my energy usage of the past couple of days caught up with me and I was asleep very quickly. Unfortunately, I would have been happier staying awake.

As I returned to awareness, I saw several people in a conference room, one of them being Headmaster Raughlin. "We have the subjects on the run," he was saying.

"Do you know where they are?" another man asked.

"Yes, they're in a drug house in New Orleans," he replied.

"With the addiction noted in subject 32145, should she be allowed to remain there?" a woman asked.

"I think she is safe for the moment. She is being closely monitored and we will have our targets soon," the Headmaster replied.

"So your plan is on track?" the female voice asked.

"Yes, it is. It's going exactly as I want it to," he said.

"Very good," the first male voice then said.

"Give us a full update," the second male voice commanded.

"Subject 32145 had been presumed dormant, or possibly inoperable, after the incident in Alaska. However, she is fully functional, and likely has been from the beginning, or very shortly thereafter. Subject 32023 is unchanged," he replied.

"What of Subjects 33743 and 33744?" the male voice asked.

"They are young and not awakened yet, or so we presume at this point," the Headmaster replied. I knew who they were talking about, regardless of whether they referred to them as numbers or not.

"We'll have them when they get to Savannah, and will begin training and research once we transfer them back here," the Headmaster continued.

"Very good," the first male voice responded.

I woke up, shaking and sweating. Someone was shaking me, in addition to my shaking. Somewhat coming to my senses, I jumped up, dislodging Eliana from my lap, and ran to the room we were staying in, curling up in the corner, shivering and in a cold sweat.

"Mel, what's wrong?" Aliyah asked, as Gabe and several others came running in behind her.

"Nothing. I had a bad dream again," I replied.