Chapter 7

My eyes opened. A low hum came from the heater and the room was warm. My head ached. I lay staring at the ceiling, running last nights events through my head again. I sighed and sat up. I climbed out of my bed and walked toward the door. I quietly opened my door and shuffled to the bathroom. I glanced in Zayn's room on the way. He was on his stomach snoring softly. His hair was sticking up in many places and his leg and arm hung halfway off the bed. I walked into the bathroom and shut the door behind me. I stared in the mirror for a moment before turning on the water and splashing some on my face. I took some Advil from the cabinet and swallowed them. I walked out of the bathroom and glanced toward the clock on the wall. It's 7 a.m. and I'm wide awake. I headed upstairs into the kitchen where I poured myself a bowl of cereal. I went into the living room and turned the TV on.

~

*Zayn's POV*

I groaned slightly and rolled onto my back. I pulled myself out of the tangle of blankets and walked upstairs. Calla was in the living room watching TV.

"Morning." I said stretching my arms out in front of me. She glanced toward me and slightly smiled.

"Good morning." She quietly mumbled. I took a seat by her and stared at the TV for a moment.

"Horror movies in the morning?" I questioned looking at her. Her lips curled up and she nodded. Calla's eyes went wide and I glanced back at the TV. A vampire was ripping a girl's throat out. I reached for the remote and turned the TV off.

"Look. I know that," I paused and searched for the right words. "We, vampires, aren't really like that. With that girl the other day I was literally starving. I didn't feed for well over 2 weeks. It's really just a simple bite not a bloodbath." She glanced down at her hands then back up at me.

"How come you can go into the sun?" A surprised look came across my face. " I mean I thought vampires couldn't go into the sun. Like shouldn't you burn like in the movies?" I chuckled and shook my head.

"Half of that movie stuff is nonsense. I can go into the sun. I may be a bit sensitive to it but I'm not going to burst into flames."  She nodded and looked down at her hands again.

"What about garlic and holy water and all that?" I chuckled again and shook my head.

"The holy water thing is the only true thing. I mean a stake through the heart would probably hurt but the only way to really kill us is cutting our heads off. I personally don't like garlic but it can be eaten and everything. Look at Percy, he loves garlic. The whole sleeping in coffin is crap. We can eat normal food but there's really no point. It doesn't fill us up and it's flavorless to our taste buds." She nodded and then her eyebrows furrowed.

"Percy? He's one too?" I closed my eyes and bit my lip. I let out a breathe and nodded.

"I wasn't supposed to tell you but yes. Percy and Aspen both."

Her mouth fell open and she shook her head.

"Those assholes." She smiled and glanced up at me. My eyes stayed on hers and a grinned tugged at the corner of my lips. "What?" She questioned pushing a piece of hair behind her ear. I shook my head and smiled.

"In all of the years I've spent traveling the world, I've met many different people, and there has never been another as captivating as you. There's something different about you, Calla. I just don't know what it is yet." She smiled and her cheeks flooded with pink warmth.

"Why didn't they tell me?" I shrugged.

"I guess they didn't want to freak you out." She nodded slightly and stood up. She wandered slowly into the kitchen and began looking through cabinets.

"There is nothing to eat here!" She sighed and leaned against the counter. After standing in silence for a few moments she walked over and grabbed the keys. "I'm going to go get some food. Do you want to come?" I smiled and nodded.

"Sure." I grabbed my leather jacket off the back of the couch and we headed for the car.

~

God she's gorgeous. What the hell is going on. After 130 years of living alone I can't be falling in love. At least I don't think I could be.

"Hello? Earth to Zayn." I blinked and few times and glanced at her.

"What?" She give me a look and chuckled.

"I asked if you wanted anything. I got everything I wanted."

"I don't eat. Remember?"

"Oh yeah. Sorry." She looked away with her cheeks growing red. I reached for her hand and pulled her toward me. I wrapped my arms around her waist and kissed her cheek.

"You look beautiful today." I whispered. She shook her head and chuckled.

"I have no make up on, my hairs a mess, and I'm in old sweats. How am I beautiful?" She asked smiling slightly.

"You look beautiful just how you are. Your personality is beautiful. Everything about you is beautiful Calla." She nestled her face in my chest and hugged me back.

"Calla? Hello love."

With that voice Calla tensed and quickly pulled away.