Chapter 35.

"Calla, wake up." My eyes fluttered opened and I looked over. Zayn sat smiling.
"What time is it?" I mumbled sitting up and rubbing my eyes.
"Babe, it's almost noon." I smiled slightly.
"Oh." He laid back against the pillow and looked over toward me.
"So, baby, your birthday is in three days." I reached over and grabbed my phone from the bedside table.
"Oh, wow, I guess it is." I muttered staring at the date. I threw my phone to the side and sat up. "So what do we have planned for today?" I asked avoiding the subject of my birthday. I've been dreading it ever since I was changed. My first birthday being immortal. Zayn eyed me for a moment and then stood up.
"I actually have to go somewhere with Leon for a few hours." I raised my eyebrow at him.
"Where, Zayn? I asked, straight faced. He sighed and sat down.
"It's some business with James. Getting things worked out with my debt." I frowned and nodded. "I'll be back before you know it, darling." I nodded and he kissed my cheek. I followed him downstairs and took a seat on the couch.
"We will be back soon!" Zayn called as he and Leon walked out the front door. A moment later, the door opened and Zayn stuck his head in.
"Aspen and Percy will be back around three. They went to tell Percy's dad." I nodded and smiled. He shut the door once again and I glanced around. I'm alone. Now what do I do?
*Zayn's POV*
"So, when did he call?" I asked looking toward Leon from the road.
"On the way to Littleton. I was Calla so I didn't answer it. I called him later on and he told me he needed it soon." Zayn frowned and looked back over the road.
"I shouldn't even have went to him. He's just a manipulative asshole." I gripped the steering wheel tighter as we headed toward his apartment complex.
"So, do you feel any better about doing this job?" I shook my head no.
"It's probably some set up."  Leon tried to find something to say. "I have to do it either way."
We finally got to James's apartment complex and pulled in. I climbed out of the truck and glanced at Leon. He gave me a half smile and I walked toward the door.
"Zayn! Get in here!" James motioned for me to come inside. I walked toward the worn leather couch and took a seat.
"So, what am I doing?" James grinned.
"Straight to the point, I always liked that about you, Zayn!" I glared at him and he let out a laugh. "It's a transport job. Take some, uh, cargo up to this warehouse in Colorado and come back. No big deal." I raised my brow.
"Cargo? Am I taking fucking drugs?" James grinned and shook his head.
"No! Not at all." I stood up.
"Fuck, James!" He grinned and took a drink of whatever his glass held.
"You needed my help and this is how you're repaying me." I glared at him and sat down.
"So, as I was saying, you take it and come back. It's simple! Then I'm out of your hair forever."
"Fine, when am I doing this?"
"Three weeks." I nodded and stood up.
"I'll be back then." I walked toward the door.
"Zayn!" I looked over my shoulder toward him. "Thanks for the help!" His face no longer had a smug grin on it but a slight frown. His expression was almost sad. I looked away from him and walked out the door.
"Is everything set?" I nodded to Leon and climbed into the truck. We were quiet for a long time as we headed to the mall. Leon promised to help me pick Calla a gift.
"Hey, Leon." He looked over toward me.
"Yeah, what's up?" I was quiet for a moment trying the throw the words together so they sounded okay.
"I've got a really bad feeling about this job. Even James is acting weird about it. Something isn't right." I looked away from Leon and back at the road. "I need to ask you something rather important." I could see him staring at me out of the corner of my eye.
"Okay, what's up, Zayn?" I took a deep breath.
"I might not come back from this job and I need to know if," I stopped talking trying to find the rights words again.
"Dude, what are you talking about? You're coming back." I shook my head.
"Just listen to me, please. If I don't come back, Calla is going to be devastated. I need to know that you'll take care of her for me. I know Aspen and Percy will, but I just, I don't know if I'll come back at all." He gave me a confused look.
"What are you saying?" I gripped the steering wheel.
"I can tell you've got a bit of a crush on her, Leon. If I was gone, I'd want to at least know that you'd be taking care of her instead of someone else." His mouth feel open slightly.
"Are you talking about a relationship, Zayn? I cant, I mean, yeah she's cute and all but she's in love with you man. I couldn't do that to you. What the fuck are you talking me about anyways? You're coming back, why are you taking like this?" I shook my head and stared out at the road.
"Something's going to go wrong, Leon. I can feel it." He shook his head quickly.
"Zayn, it's just another job. You've got to quit thinking like that! You're going to go and be back within hours. That's it. Nothing's going to go wrong." I sighed and nodded.
"But, if something does go wrong just promise me you'll be there for her."
"Okay, fine, but you're coming back. I spoke a quick 'thank you' and pulled into the mall parking lot. I hope he's right about this.
*Calla's POV*
After watching tv for a while, I finally decided to go upstairs and begin working on the pictures I was going to give Aspen for the surprise.
Before I knew it, almost an hour had passed. My text tone filled the silence in the room and I pulled my phone out from under the mess of items on the bed.
Hi, it's dad. Can we go get lunch?
I sighed and stared at the text for a while be for finally replying with a yes. He told me to meet him at some diner downtown.
I got up and slipped on some shorts and a white tank top. I grabbed the keys to Leon's jeep, that had sat unmoved since we got here, and went to the kitchen. I wrote a quick note telling where I was going and when I'd be back and walked outside. It took a few tries to start the jeep but it finally started and I pulled out and headed toward town.
~
I could see my dad through the diner window. He was wear a baby blue button up my mom and I had got him for the last christmas we had spent with her. He had gotten a haircut since I last seen him and his stubble was shaved. I sighed and walked inside. He looked up at me and smiled.
"Hi, Calla." His eyes were already watering.
"Hi, dad." I muttered sitting down in the booth. The waitress realized I had sat down so she quickly came to the table.
"Can I get you something to drink?" She asked smiling.
"Water." She smiled and then walked off toward the kitchen. I looked up at my dad. He was staring down at his hand with a look of pain on his face. After a moment he looked up at me and gave a small smile.
"How have you been?" He asked softly running his hands together.
"I'm okay." I spoke. The waitress set my water down in front of me and smiled again.
"Are you two ready to order?" She asked pulling out her pen and pad.
"I'll just have a small order of fries." I said folding up the menu and sliding it toward the edge of the table. I still had to pretend to eat. She nodded and looked toward my dad.
"I'll have a cheeseburger with fries." He spoke, voice shaking slightly. The waitress nodded and strolled back to the kitchen. I looked back to my father and he was staring at my eyes.
"I, uh, I'm trying a new thing." I muttered hoping he would move on from my different colored eyes. He gave me a nod and then looked down at the seat.
"I have a birthday present for you." He said picking up a small black case from beside him. He held it for a while and then finally slid it toward me. "It was your mother's, I don't know if you remember it." I picked up the case and hesitantly opened it. A small smile fell onto my lips when I realized what it was. It was a small sliver bracelet with a few diamonds. I remember my mom telling me that my dad had got this for her on their first wedding anniversary. She let me wear it that day. I stared down at it and then turned it over.
Jenni, the love of my life.
I ran my finger of the engraving and smiled again. I looked up at my dad and he gave me another small smile.
"I thought you'd like to have it." He said looking down at the bracelet.
"Thank you." I whispered running my fingers over it again. I held it for a while and silence once again fell over us. I put it back into the small case
and slid it into my bag. I looked up at my dad and tried to think of something to say.
"You look good." I finally said. He smiled. "I see you ironed it?" He nodded and began smoothing it down.
"I didn't want to look like a mess seeing you." I nodded and smiled.
"It looks good." He was trying so hard to do better. I was incredibly surprised by him. He looked like he hadn't touched a drink in weeks. Moments later, he answered as if he had read my mind.
"I haven't had a drink in almost two months. That night I finally realized what I was doing and that it needed to stop. I didn't mean to get that bad, Calla, I really didn't. At first it was just to help with the stress, it numbed my emotions. After I while, I couldn't even function without it, or so I thought." His eyes filled tears.
"I'm so sorry for putting you through that for so long, Calla. I should've been there for you, like any father should." I looked away from him and stared down at my hands.
"Look, I don't care about any of that anymore. If you continue with this life, this sober life, I'll let you back into my life. But if you even touch a drink again, I'll be gone. You'll never hear from again, okay." He instantly nodded.
"Okay, I'll do that for you. I can't lose you, Calla. I know I've been really shitty and I'm sorry. I'll try to be a good father again." I nodded and took a sip of water.
"Okay, dad, that's all I want." He smiled and the waitress came toward us holding our food in her hands.
"Enjoy your food. Let me know if y'all need anything thing else." I smiled up at her nodding and then began eating the flavorless fries.
*2 1/2 hours later*
All the cars were back when I got home. I grabbed my bag from the passenger seat and and quickly ran inside. It started to rain on the way home, and I just had to take the car without the roof. I opened the door and shuffled inside. Aspen was asleep on the couch and the guys were in the kitchen. I walked into the kitchen and took a seat at the island next to Zayn. He smiled over at me.
"How'd it go, babe?" He asked leaning over to kiss my cheek. I nodded and set my bag on the island.
"It was actually really good. We talked and he gave me a birthday present." Percy raised his eyebrow.
"A present?" He asked looking toward me. I nodded and pulled the case out of my bag. I pulled the bracelet out and held it up.
"It was my moms." I muttered staring at it. Percy reached for it and I handed it to him.
"Jenni, the love of my life. Was it a birthday present or something for her?" I shook my head.
"My dad got it for her on their first wedding anniversary." He nodded and handed it to Leon. Leon eyed it for a moment, running his finger of the engraving, and then passed it to Zayn.
"Well, I'm glad it was good, Cal." Zayn said handing me my bracelet. I put it back into the case and smiled as I laid my head on his shoulder.
"It's raining outside." He nodded.
"I noticed, baby." I slipped my hand into his.
"It hasn't rained here in so long. It's so beautiful. I love it." I whispered staring out the window. He quickly stood up and picked me up off the stool and threw me over his shoulder. "Zayn! What are you doing?" I screeched as he walked toward the back door.
"You said you loved it! So, we must go out in it!" He opened the door and ran outside. He spun in a few circles before putting me down. I began to giggle as he put his arms out and stared up at the sky letting the rain soak his clothes. After a moment, he looked back at me and grinned. I pushed my wet hair out of my face as he walked toward me. He grinned and looked down at my wet shirt.
"I can see through your shirt." He mumbled leaving his eyes on my chest.
"Zayn!" I slapped his chest and he chuckled. He wrapped his arms around my waist and stared down at me.
"You're soaked." I muttered looking at his clothes.
"I made you smile, so it was worth it." I smiled and laid my head against his wet chest.
*Zayn'a POV*
"I fucking love you, Zayn Malik." She said after a moment, looking up at me.
"I love you too, Calla." I smiled and pressed my lips to hers. Her arms slid around my neck and we stood in the rain kissing for god knows how long.
When she finally broke the kiss, we hurried inside to dry off. We quickly went and changed our clothes.
Once we were back downstairs, Aspen had woke up and put on a movie. Everyone crowded in the living room around the fire and we started watching the movie. Calla curled up against me and quickly got into the movie. I smiled down at her and then glanced around at everyone. What if I never have this again? What if I never come back from Colorado? What if I never see my best friends again? I shook those thought out of my head and turned my attention back to the movie. After a while, Calla's breathing slowed and I realized she had fallen asleep. She was so incredibly beautiful. I hope Leon's right, I hope it's just another normal job. I have to come home to her.