Chapter 40.

I didn't expect the amount of people, but I guess I didn't know what to expect. People seemed to already know me because of Ava. I had various people come and introduced themselves and ask about the job.
"This is crazy." I heard Leon muttered looking around the venue. I smiled and looked toward him.
"I love it." He raised his brow down at me. "It's a rush, it makes me forget everything else." He smiled and I quickly returned it before focusing back on everything else.
"So, you're Ava's new girl?" I furrowed my brows and turned toward an oddly familiar voice. "Oh, it's you." I stared toward the blonde man in front of me before a smile crept onto my face.
"Wow, Niall was it?" He nodded reached out to pull me into a hug.
"And Leon, it's been years." He smiled, his blue eyes lighting up. "How'd things turn out with Eliza?" Leon's smiled faded and he shook his head. Eliza? He nodded and turned his attention back to me.
"How is everything, Calla?" When I didn't answer he gave me a concerned look. "Is something wrong?"
"It's just, uh, Zayn. He was," my voice began to trail off as I looked at Niall, the memories of that day I had met Niall flooding back into my mind. The day I learned what Zayn actually was. "Something happened to him." He raised his brow toward me.
"Is it anything to do with Harry?" I nodded, my mouth falling open slightly.
"How did you know?" He rolled his eyes.
"It always has something to do with that prick. Hey, the show is starting in a few minutes. When do you leave Sydney?" I looked toward Leon, suddenly lost for words.
"Tuesday morning." Leon answered. He nodded and stuck his hand into his pocket searching for something.
"Give me a call tomorrow, we can meet somewhere and talk? I might be of some assistance with the whole Harry thing." He said handing me his business card. I nodded and stared down at it. "I'll see you then." He smiled and turned, disappearing into the crowd.
"You've met him before?" I nodded and stuck the card into my pocket.
"Only once, a long time ago. It was the day I learned about Zayn, you know the whole vampire thing." He nodded and we followed the crowd into the main room. "How do you know him?" A grin crept into his face.
"We grew up together."
"Really?" He chuckled and nodded.
"Yeah, we raised hell when we were younger. I can't count how many times he saved my life." He smiled and motioned for me to follow the crowd. Soon we were seated and waiting for the show to start.

~

*The next morning*
The show was long and rather exciting. I took so many photos and stayed up half the night looking over them. So when morning came, and I had to call Niall to meet up, I was so tired I had to take a cold shower to wake up completely.
"Hey, Cal!" Leon knocked on the door and I looked away from the mirror. I had been doing my makeup, and I guess I got lost in thought. "We have to go soon!" I sighed lightly.
"I'll be out in a second!" I quickly finished applying my eye liner and then walked out of the bathroom.
"Ready?" I nodded and stuck my phone into the pocket of my faded jean shorts. We walked out of the hotel room and toward the elevator. We took it to the lobby where the warmth from outside hit you instantly, engulfing you like a think blanket. I didn't mind though, back home it was already getting cold and winter was my least favorite season. We had already called a cab and it was waiting for us when we walked outside.
We told the driver the name of the restaurant that we were supposed to meet Niall at and the driver nodded and pulled away from the curb.
When we arrived, Niall wasn't there yet. We got a table outside to enjoy the warm climate while we still could and we ordered our drinks. The young waiter came back a few minutes later with our drinks and Leon glanced toward me.
"Are you okay, Cal?" I nodded slightly and took a drink of the water in front of me.
"I'm just nervous." I said after I set the glass back down.
"Why, you don't have to be nervous around Niall. He's one of the few you can trust." I shook me head.
"I know I can trust him, I'm just nervous about what he's going to say." He muttered a soft 'oh' and I glanced up. Niall stalled through the door leading to the outside dining area. He pushed the black glasses that covered his blue eyes up and away from his face, slightly messing up his styled blonde hair. A white shirt clung to his muscular body and a dark pair of jeans hung on his hips. He smiled when he came to the table.
"Hey, guys." I smiled lightly and Niall pulled out the black metal chair and took a seat. He waved the waiter over and ordered a scotch.
"It's eleven in the morning." I raised my brow and a grin danced on his plump lips.
"It's never too early for a drink." He said casually as he looked around the half crowded restaurant. The waiter came back and set his drink in front of him. He took a quick drink and then quickly set it down and folded his hands together. His gaze fell on me and he cleared his throat.
"So, what happened?" I told Niall all of what had happened with Zayn. He listened to every word, going over each thing carefully on his head. When I was finally finished telling the whole story, he licked his lips and looked back into my eyes.
"I'm going back to help you." My eyes widened slightly and I shook my head confused.
"What?" I asked softly, staring at him as he ran his finger around the rim of the glass of scotch.
"I worked with Harry for a few years, mostly to get his secrets and understand what the hell goes on in his fucked up mind. I knew everything about him, where he went, what he did. I was his right hand man." He paused and took a drink from the glass.
"That's right, I should've called you right away. You know everything about him." Leon muttered beside me. Niall just nodded and set the glass back down on the table.
"He has places all over the world and I know where the Colorado warehouse is. He doesn't stay in one place for too long, so if you want to find Zayn, we have to go right when we get back into the states." My breathing hitched as I stared at him.
"Do you have any idea where he would go after that?" Niall shook his head and my heart sank.
"I booked a flight back with you two. I assume you have a car at the airport, so once we land we will head straight for Colorado." I nodded.
"Okay, we'll be ready." Niall leaned forward and looked directly into my eyes.
"He's smart, Calla, and you have to be smarter if you want to find Zayn. You can't let your heart get in the way of your head right now, that will get us all killed." I pushed a stray hair out of my face and reached for the half full glass in front of Niall. I quickly chugged the the last of it and then closed my eyes, my palms resting on my hot cheeks.
"I don't think I have a heart anymore, so that won't be a problem."

~

*24 Hours Later*
The truck roared to life as I climbed in and took a seat next to Niall. Leon made sure that everything in the back of the truck was secure and then climbed in next to me. He slammed his door shut and Niall quickly pulled out of the parking space and drove toward the exit gate. He pulled out onto the highway and we headed in the direction of Colorado.
"Cal, you look exhausted." I sighed and nodded.
"The flight killed me." I said looking a Leon. I could barley keep my eyes open, the bumps from the highway and the hum of the old truck were quickly putting me to sleep.
"Take a nap, I'll wake you up when we get into Colorado." I rested my head on Leon's shoulder and soon I was fast asleep.
The sound of Leon's ringtone woke me up a few hours later and I opened my eyes soon enough to see the name 'Eliza' disappear from the phone screen. I could hear a deep sigh escape from his lips.
"Who is she?" I asked softly shifting my body to look up at him. He jumped lightly, startled by the sudden voice, and looked down at me.
"She's nobody." He muttered coldly looking back out the front window.
"Just tell her, mate." Niall spoke next to me, his voice was raspy and tired. Leon groaned and looked back down at me.
"She's my ex girlfriend." I stared at him waiting for him to continue.
"Okay, that's all?" He frowned.
"She's my ex that ended up cheating on me with my best friend and used me for money. Money she then used to abort the baby we conceived because she wanted to be with him rather than me." My mouth fell open slightly as I stared up at him.
"What?" Niall must not have know the last part because he sounded as confused as I was. Leon simply nodded and looked away from me and Niall and back toward the passing scenery.
"So, why is she calling you?" He shrugged.
"Honestly, I don't know nor do I care." I looked over at Niall and he shrugged lightly. I glanced up just in time to see the sign saying we were driving into Colorado.
"We should be there soon." Niall spoke beside me. I nodded and looked back to Leon. His eyes were set out the window and his lips held a deep frown. I reached forward and turned on the radio. Some old rock song played softly through the speakers and it chased away the uncomfortable silence.
About an hour later we drove through a small town and toward the warehouse on the end of Main Street.
"Calla, remember what I told you." Niall said pulling off the road and parking in front of an abandoned diner.
"I know, Niall." He nodded and stepped out of the truck. He pulled his hood over his head and motioned for Leon and I to do the same. He reached into his bag in the back of the truck and opened it.
"How did you get those through airport security?" I asked eyeing the various guns laying in the large black bag. He shrugged and pulled a pistol out.
"I've got my connections, Calla." He winked and handed the gun to me.
"What? No, I don't want to use this." I said shoving it back into his hands. He groaned and held it out to me once again.
"Calla, take the gun." I shook my head. "You either take the gun or you stay here." I frowned and shook my head.
"No, I'm not staying here."
"Then take the fucking gun, Calla. You probably won't even have use it." I could hear the annoyed tone in his voice.
"Calla, just take it so we can go. We're wasting time." Leon said walking to our sides. I sighed loudly and grabbed the gun.
"What do I do with it?" I asked staring at it. Niall reached for the gun. He stepped closer and pulled my jacket and shirt up. He slid the cold metal in between my pants and underwear and quickly pulled my jacket back down and over the gun. He stayed where he was and looked down into my eyes, his face only inches from mine. I could smell the mint on his breath from the gum he was previously chewing.
"You need to suck it up, Calla. If you go in there like this you'll get us all killed, including Zayn, and this all would've been for nothing." His gaze fell on my lips and it lingered there for a few seconds. "Do you understand?" I nodded and continued to stare up at him. He finally stepped back and reached into the bag for another pistol. He handed it over to Leon. Leon stared at Niall for a few moments before looking toward me. Niall zipped the bag back up and then turned and started walking down an alley. We quickly followed him and Leon briefly glanced at me.
"What was that?" He asked, his tone soft and hushed. I shrugged and stuck my hands into my pockets.
"I don't know. You've know him longer, you tell me." He shrugged and glanced up to Niall.
"Well I don't know either." Niall had stopped in front of us and was tearing away vines on a fence. "Let's just forget about it." I nodded just as we reached Niall.
"What are you doing?" I asked as Niall reached for the top of the fence and yanked it down. The fence fell away, leaving us a big enough gap to get through.
"I made sure I could get in again if I ever needed to." I nodded and Niall motioned for me to go through. I slipped through the hole in the fence and they both followed close behind me