Chapter 42.

I had woke up at least an hour ago but I didn't have the energy to get out of bed. I could hear everyone downstairs having a great time and that just made me feel even worse. I never felt more alone and it was tearing me apart inside.
I sighed lightly, annoyed that I was letting myself feel like this, and crawled out of the bed. I lumbered toward the bathroom and turned on the hot water. I stripped off my underwear and stepped into the shower. I let the water run down my back for a while trying my best to wake completely up before finally washing my hair and body. Stepping back out into the steamy bathroom, I wrapped a plush white towel around my body. I walked toward the mirror and wiped the steam away with my hand. Dark bags sat underneath both of my hazel eyes and it made me look even more exhausted than I felt.
"Calla?" I jumped lightly, surprised by the sudden voice.
"Yeah?" I walked toward the bathroom door and pulled it open. Leon stood in a grey teeshirt and a faded pair of jeans. His blonde hair was slightly messy and looked as if he had been running his hands through it. "Are you okay? You looked stressed." I asked looking up toward him. He half nodded and then his eyes quickly scanned over my body.
"I'm fine, I've just got some things going on right now." I nodded and continued staring up at him.
"Are you sure?" I laid my hand on his arm and he nodded again.
"Yeah, it's nothing. Are you okay?" I nodded and sighed.
"I'm exhausted." He nodded and raised his hand to push a piece of wet hair away that was sticking to my temple. His hand lingered on my cheek and he smiled at me. Before I could understand what I was doing, my lips were on his and we were kissing. My hands wrapped around his neck and his hands gripped my waist. Our kisses were short and heated like we just needed to feel another persons lips.
What the fuck are you doing Calla? Zayn's gone and you're just going to move on? Just forget about him? My eyes shot open and I quickly pulled away from Leon's grasp.
"I shouldn't have done that. I'm sorry." I tightly gripped my towel, my eyes glued to the floor.
"No, I shouldn't have kissed back. It's my fault." I shook my head and looked up toward him. We stared at each other for a moment and then I turned and walked toward the dresser.
"I need to get dressed. I have to go into work." I mumbled softly searching through the drawer for something to wear.
"Do you want me to drive you?" He asked. I could hear the hesitation in his voice as he asked. I think he was just trying to move on from the heated interaction we had shared only moments before.
"No, I'll be fine." I could hear his feet pad against the carpet as he walked toward the open door. I heard it shut a moment later and I let out a breath I hadn't realized I was holding in. I quickly got dressed and pulled my hair into a messy bun. I gathered my things and walked downstairs.
"Calla!" I turned and looked toward Aspen who sat at the kitchen island. "Come in here!" I turned and walked toward Aspen.
"What's up?" I asked leaning against the door frame. I tightly gripped the strap of my purse and she stared at me for a moment.
"We were thinking that we should all go out to dinner tonight. Just to have fun and get our minds off everything." I nodded and pushed myself away from the door frame.
"Yeah, that sounds nice." She smiled and stood up.
"I'm glad you want to go." She walked toward me and pulled me into a hug. "Are you going to work?" I nodded and she pulled away.
"I've got to check on some photos." She nodded and then her expression got slightly more serious as she stared at me.
"Are you okay? You're rather quiet today." I nodded and stepped back. Her eyes narrowed and she crossed her arms. "Calla." I groaned lightly and motioned for her to follow me outside to the car.
Once outside I unlocked the car door and opened it. I tossed my purse on the passenger seat and then turned to face her.
"I kissed Leon." She stared at me for a moment processing the words and then her mouth fell open.
"What?" She half yelled and I slapped her shoulder.
"Be quiet!" My eyes darted to the house and then back to Aspen. "I had just got out of the shower and he came to talk to me and it just happened." She pursed his lips and then a light smirked danced on her lips.
"Was it a good kiss? He has nice lips so I'd imagine-" I raised my hand and slapped her shoulder again. She frowned and rubbed her shoulder. "Ow, it was just a question."
"I feel terrible." I admitted staring up at her. "And you're engaged." She shrugged and grinned.
"I can still say he has nice lips." I rolled my eyes and frowned.
"Aspen!" I whined.
"Don't, Calla! You're lonely and things happen. It's okay, it was just a little kiss." I slowly nodded and she smiled.
"Yeah, you're right." She reached forward and pulled me into another quick hug.
"We will go to dinner when you get home! I'll see you then!" She turned and jogged up the front steps and into the house.
"She's crazy." I muttered laughing lightly to myself as I climbed into the car. I backed up and drove toward the highway. I flipped on the radio and some pop song played through the speakers. I soon found myself tapping my fingers along with the the beat and I smiled.
Once I got to work the song was long over and my smile had faded with it. I walked inside and toward the elevator.
"Calla!" I pushed the up button on the elevator before turning around. The girl I had met a few days ago was quickly walking toward me.
"Oh, hi." I offered her a smile since I had completely forgotten her name.
"You remember me, right? I'm Addy." I smiled and nodded.
"Yeah, of course I do." She smiled and we walked into the elevator.
"I just wanted to congratulate you." I gave her a confused look.
"On what?" She furrowed her brows.
"Did you just get here?" I nodded and she smiled.
"Well, I'll let Ava tell you then." I stared at her utterly confused.
"Tell me what?" She shook her head and ran out of the elevator waving at me on the way out. I pulled my purse higher on my shoulder and walked toward Ava's office.
"Calla, just the person I wanted to see!" I smiled toward her and took a seat.
"What's going on?" I asked softly, intently watching her. She looked much happier than normal.
"What are some normal magazines that publish fashion show photos?" I was quiet for a moment before reciting various names. "Stop, what was that last one?" I said it again and she nodded.
"Okay, what about it?" I asked. She folded her hands together smiling.
"They want to print your photos." My mouth fell open and I was speechless.
"What?" I finally managed to mutter. She nodded and her smile grew wider. "Really?"
"I sent them your photos and they started printing this morning." My hand covered my mouth holding in a scream. This is unbelievable.
"Wow." I softly whispered.
"Your check from the company is in on your desk. I'm proud of how far you've come in such a short amount of time." I smiled and stood up.
"Thank you so much, Ava." She smiled and then her eyes fell on her computer and this conversation was over.
I hurried toward my office trying my best to avoid everyone that wanted to congratulate me. Once inside try office I shut the door and walked toward my desk. I picked up the envelope and tore it open. My mouth fell open as I stared at the amount printed. $6,500. (I don't know who's much it would actually be. Just go with it, okay?) How can it be that much? I sat in the chair and stared at the check for a while before a knock at my door forced me to look up.
"Come in." I called shoving the check underneath a set of papers. The door opened and a tall guy with dusty hair walked in. "Yes?" I asked staring up at him.
"I wanted to come introduce myself. You've been here over a week and we still don't know each other. My name is Kristian." I stood and walked toward him.
"I'm Calla." He stuck his hand toward me and I shook it.
"I also wanted to congratulate you. That's a big thing. Most people don't get that opportunity and when they do they've been here for a year or more." I nodded slightly my smile fading. He seemed to have noticed because he began to assure me that it was a good thing.
"Well, I better get to work." He smiled and nodded walking toward the door.
"If you need anything, my office if the last one on the left." I nodded and gave him a warm smile before walking back to my desk.
I had ended up staying at work most of the day to finish up everything I needed to do. Ava dropped off the tickets for New York before heading home herself. I gathered my things and walked out of my office and down the hallway toward the elevator. I pushed the down button and waited for the elevator to open.
"Hey, Calla." Kristian was walking toward me with a warm smile.
"Hi." I softly muttered stepping into the elevator.
"You're here late." I shrugged lightly and nodded.
"I had some work to finish." He nodded and pushed the first floor button.
"What are your plans for tonight?" I glanced up at him and now noticed that his eyes were a soft shade of green.
"I'm going to dinner with my friends." He nodded.
"Well, that sounds nice." The doors opened and I stepped out.
"Yeah, it should be fun." We walked together to the entrance of the building and he opened the door for me.
"So, I don't normally do this, but would you like to go get a coffee sometime?" I smiled and turned to face him.
"That's sweet, but-" My voice came out much softer than I had hoped. I had started to speak again but he smiled and shook his head.
"You don't have to explain. I understand." I  gave him another soft smile. "Well, I'd better let you go. It was nice to finally meet you!" I nodded and he gave me a small wave before jogging off toward his car. I sighed lightly and walked toward the car. I hope I didn't hurt his feelings, he seemed like a nice guy.
The traffic was surprisingly light and I got home in about 20 minutes. I grabbed my purse for the back seat and opened the car door.
"Calla!" My eyes shot toward the door where Aspen stood with a large smile. "You're finally home!" Her long hair was curled and it fell over the front of her red dress. I shut the door and began to walk toward the steps.
"I'm sorry. I didn't plan to stay that long, it just happened." She shook her head and grabbed my hand.
"I laid out an outfit for you, I hope that's okay. " I nodded and her smiled widened. "Good! Go get changed! We will be waiting down here." I hurried upstairs and toward my bedroom.
I opened the door and walked toward the bed. My breath caught in my throat as I stared down at the dress she has picked. It was the white one that Zayn had bought me. I let out a long sigh and began to pull my jeans off.
I walked toward the mirror and stared at the dress on my body. It looked really good on me, but I don't know if I can wear it.
"Cal?" I glanced toward the door where Leon stood leaning against the door frame.
"Yeah?"
"I was just coming to check on you." He let out a deep sigh. "And I wanted to apologize." I waved my hand trying to wave the subject away and he simply nodded.
"Zayn bought me this." I muttered running my fingers over the material. Leon looked at the dress for a moment before smiling up at me.
"It looks really nice, Cal." I half smiled and watched Leon disappear into the closet. "But it would look better with these." He held up a pair of white and black wedges and a smile fell onto my face.
"Yeah," He held the wedges out to me and I quickly slipped them on. "They do." I looked at myself in the mirror and smiled again. A soft melody filled the room and Leon pulled his phone out of his pocket. He stared and it for a moment before shoving it back into his pocket.
"Is everything okay?" He nodded and looked up at me.
"Are you ready to go?" I half nodded and walked toward the bathroom.
"I've got to do something with my hair and I'll be right down." I called over my shoulder. I quickly brushed my hair before pulling it into a high ponytail. I touched up my makeup and quickly gathered my things. I looked at myself one last time before heading downstairs.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So, the end is coming very soon. I'd say at least 6 more chapters, give or take. There is going to be a sequel and I have the beginning already planned out.
I'm also thinking of doing a rewrite of this story!?!? I like it but it does need to be cleaned up and things need to be added and taken away. So give me your thoughts on if I should do that!!
Also, thank you again for continuing to support this story and I'm trying to get better at updating.
Have a lovely day/night and stay amazing!
-Mikayla Jane.