(10) Sawdust

Previously:

"You know everyone always says that men in suits or in uniform are the hottest but I'd take a tall tanned hunk covered in sawdust any day."

Chapter Ten - Sawdust

Emily sighed as she walked down the street, her breath puffing out like a little white cloud in front of her, as she pulled her jacket tighter.

She couldn't stand cold weather.

Sure, it was pretty when it snowed in the winter and some of her favourite childhood memories were making snow angels with her mother and sipping on hot chocolate before bed,  but that didn't make up for the numb hands or the colds she always seemed to get no matter how much she wrapped up.

It was only October but it felt like January now that her heating had bust.

Even worse, it was Sunday, meaning no one was available to fix it until the next day.

Which is exactly why she found herself rushing to the shops, taking any short cuts she could, before they closed so she could find something, anything, to keep her warmer.

Feeling a vibration from her back pocket, Emily reached into her jeans to grab her phone. She laughed out loud at the photo Sophia had sent her of Skye with pasta sauce all over her face. Still grinning, Emily started typing out a response only to crash straight into someone, sending her phone flying.

"Watch it!" A voice said irritated as she swore under her breath, bending down to pick up her phone. She quickly scanned it and sighed in relief when she didn't find any damage. It was enough hassle getting a new phone last time, she certainly didn't want to have to do it again.

"Well well well." The voice continued, this time sounding rather amused. "If it isn't Emily Jameson."

Emily stiffened as she looked up and took in the long legs and wavy brunette hair.

This is what I get for taking shortcuts, she thought bitterly.

"Chloe." She said in a strained voice, her hand clutching her phone tighter when Chloe smirked at her.

"I heard you were back." She said politely but from the glint in her sapphire eyes, Emily could tell she was feeling anything but. Chloe flicked her hair behind her, cocking her head to the side. "No Matthew?"

It was a question but it was painstakingly clear she already knew the answer.

Emily stood up straighter and cleared her throat. "That's right."

Chloe made a hmm noise, eying her up and down. "Can't say I'm surprised really, he always was too good for you." She sneered at her, finally showing her true colors. "Then again I'd say everyone is."

Emily laughed bitterly, refusing to let herself get upset from her words. This was what Chloe did and this time she wasn't going to give her any satisfaction. Instead she just shrugged at her. "Guess so. Bye now." She said cheerily before moving past her. She tensed for a moment,waiting for Chloe to say something else,  only to hear the clicking of her heels as she hurried down the path, probably annoyed she couldn't get a rise out of her. Emily sighed in relief, taking a couple of deep breaths to calm herself down.

Confrontation had always been something that shook her up, even more so now than before. If someone started shouting at her or insulting her she'd freeze up, unable to say anything back.

Except with one person.

"Emily, wait up!"

Speak of the devil, Emily thought to herself as she turned around to find Will jogging out of the bookstore on her left.