(2) Daises

This is unedited and written on my phone which loves to mix up were and we're so there may be mistakes

Chapter Two - Daisies

Emily yawned as she stretched her arms out in front of her.  She blinked a few times before focusing on the clock which sat above the fireplace.

7am. 

She'd only got 2 hours worth of sleep.

It had been that way for a while.  Ever since the incident she'd been unable to turn her thoughts away from that night. Sometimes when she finally did drift off she'd find herself dreaming about it but it was always hazy. The images were never quite there. 

"BUT I DON'T WANNA GO TO SCHOOL MOMMY!"

Emily jumped at the sudden scream.  Chuckling to herself, she got up and made her way upstairs to find Sophia struggling to put a dress on Skye.

"Aunty Em-Wee tell mommy that I can stay here!" Skye begged when she caught sight of her.

Emily shook her head. "Sorry Princess, I can't do that." She told her with an apologetic look.  "And now I guess I can't call you Princess anymore."

"Why not?"

Emily leaned in closer.  "Everyone knows that all princesses attend school every single day. Well unless they're really really sick.  Are you really really sick?" Skye seemed to think about it for a minute before firmly nodding her head. "Are you sure?  Because everyone also knows that if a princess lies her title is stripped from her immediately."

Skye's eyes widened a little. "I'm not lying. " She quickly promised. "But I'll go to school."

Emily grinned at her. "Well that's great,  Princess.  How's about you let mummy dress you now then?" She suggested. She smiled satisfied when Skye didn't make any fuss.

"Thanks." Sophia said once she'd sent Skye off to brush her teeth. "I love her to pieces but she can be such a pain in the morning."

Emily laughed. "Like mother like daughter."

Sophia just smiled.  "Anyways, are you sure you're ok to look after Skye later? Just until 6."

"Of course! Just because that lowlife ditched her doesn't mean I'm going to."

Sophia sighed.  "He's probably just busy with.. Well with stuff."

Emily rose an eyebrow at her. "What's more important than his daughter?" Sophia opened her mouth to respond but no words came out.  Instead she just shrugged.  "Exactly."

"I'll pay you for looking after her of course." Sophia said purposely changing the subject. "I know you don't have much money."

"You don't have to pay me Soph, I love looking after Skye." She told her.  "When she was a baby I had her every night while you worked but did I once complain or ask for money? No. And I won't now."

"You're too stubborn for your own good that's why." Sophia said with a laugh.  "OK fine no money.  But I'm giving you free pizza for life."

"Are you even allowed to do that?" Emily asked amused.

"Sure,  I practically own the place now.  Mr Murphey only comes in on Mondays now and he loves you, remember? You used to read to his wife when she was ill."

"Oh yeah. " Emily smiled at the memory. "Sandra. She was lovely. I can't believe it's been 5 years since she passed."

"Time flies." Sophia said with a shrug. "I should know.  It was only a minute ago Skye was still in nappies yet now she's about to be 6."