-Chapter Twenty-Eight-

The prom was held in the school hall, nothing to fancy but not a complete fail either. There were hundreds of teens, dancing and raving across the room, the lighting in the hall dim and sourced from disco lights only.

It took Derek back to his own high school years, with prom every year and he would do the same thing each year - sit in the corner of the hall watching everyone else have fun after his mother forced him to go. Except this time he wasn't forced to go. Yet Derek still seemed to choose to sit in a corner at a table by himself. He ate a nacho from the bowl he had positioned in front of him, on the table. He sighed. There was no sign of Stiles yet. But here Derek was, sat here in his light grey suit, equipped with a waistcoat to make his muscles bulge when his blazer wasn't on and a black belt to tie everything together. His sisters had even gone to the effort of getting him a burgundy tie - one of Stiles' favourite colours - Just to impress Stiles. He sat brooding in the corner by himself.

He looked up a little, watching the swarms of teens dancing and jumping up and down, their red cups in their hands. He knew that the school strictly said no alcohol or drugs but he wasn't in the mood to enforce such rules. He shrugged it off as he watched some kid pull a flask out of his blazer pocket. Derek wished he had a flask too. He pulled his phone out of his pocket, sending Peter a text saying:

You're still picking me up at 12 aren't you?

He tapped on the table waiting for a reply, which was received almost instantly. It read:

12:00am, yes. Be there waiting sharp. What's wrong? Has your date ignored you? It's rude to be on your phone when your date is talking to you, Derek.

Derek ignored the last text. He was already pissed off enough with Stiles and he didn't want his uncle to wind him up further.

He shrugged his blazer off and crossed his legs, agitated, he shook his leg. He was bored and angry - a terrible combination. It wasn't until someone sat across from him in the both, that his leg stopped moving and he looked up from his bowl of nachos.

"Mr Hale, are you not dancing?" Stiles asked, a suggestive raised eyebrow rising further up his forehead. Derek glanced at the girl sat next to Stiles. Her strawberry blonde hair and lime-coloured eyes and he shrugged. He looked away, he couldn't bear to see Stiles in his suit, looking fancy and wearing the same coloured tie. He and his sisters were making Derek feel jittery on the inside by using Stiles' looks.

"No."

"No, Mr Hale?" Stiles questioned, his face no longer suggestive and more so annoyed. Lydia, the strawberry-blonde haired girl repeated Stiles' words.

"Even Mr Grimby is dancing." Lydia laughed and threw her hair off of her shoulder. They all glanced across to the dance floor, staring at their headteacher, Mr Grimby and his sweaty flesh moving. Derek shivered. "Well come on Stiles-" Lydia hooks her arm under his and pulls him.

"Actually Lyds, I think I'm going to sit this song out." Lydia unhooked her arm and scowled between Stiles and Derek.

"Sure." She said in disbelief and Stiles knew he would have to come up with an excuse for this later. He watched her slip off onto the dance floor, finding Scott and Allison, then his head snapped around to Derek.

"Why are you sat here by yourself?" Was one of many questions he could ask. Derek crunched a nacho in his mouth before swallowing and replying.

"I didn't think you were going to show." Derek admitted honestly. Stiles' smile lit up a little bit.

"Your sisters would have beat my ass if I didn't." Stiles stifled a laugh before running a hand through his hair.

"Look, you should go have fun and dance." Derek said pushing the nacho bowl away as a sudden wave of nausea rushed over him.

"Only if you do." Stiles had that look on his face - one that Derek hated and loved at the same time - Stubbornness.

"You know I can't dance with you. Besides, you being sat here with me isn't exactly looking great to my colleagues." Stiles sighed angrily at Derek's words but collecting himself and calming down.

"You don't have to dance with me, just dance." Stiles got up, following the path Lydia took onto the dance floor and hoped that Derek could see him swinging his hips from the edge of the dance floor. He found himself lost in the music after a moment and didn't care whether or not Derek was watching.

Soon enough later, Derek was dancing. It had surprised Stiles so much that he fell backwards off the dance floor and hit his head on the nearby table. Lydia and many others crowded him on the floor and panic rose in Derek's throat. They crowd pulled Stiles up and stood him ready to dance again, and he did dance again until he saw Mr Hale nearby on the dance floor. He proudly walked over to him and slung his arms around his teacher's neck.

"Stiles I-" A finger was pushed to Derek's lips quietening him.

"No talking, just dancing." He leaned his head against his teacher's shoulder, then looked his body up and down for a brief moment.

"Stiles, please, what if someone sees-" Derek was stopped suddenly by the feeling of Stiles' clumsy lips against his and he couldn't help but to kiss them back. The disco lights swarmed around the room and people jumped in time with the beat of the song. Derek slowly pulled back. "No, Stiles. Not here."

"No, Mr Hale." Stiles mocked and then he giggled like he was high on helium.

"I think you're concussed." Stiles wrapped his arms tighter around Derek's neck, a hand snaking up to run through Derek's hair. "Let's go get-"

"Mr Hale, Stilinski?" Mr Grimby glanced between the two men.