-Chapter Seventeen-

Stiles sighed angrily, his seat squealing as he stood up abruptly and stormed over to the door. He opened it with much force.

"What the hell do you think you're doing?" Scott and the Sheriff shared a few guilty looks.

"We were...checking up on you?" Scott asked, seeing if Stiles would buy it. He turned to his dad.

"Seriously, do you not have any trust in me?" The Sheriff went to answer but Stiles cut him off. "Oh no, I forgot. I'm a person under the legal age for responsibility and Derek isn't? Isn't that right?" He turned his dad again, eyebrows raised. Derek slowly moved behind Stiles, wanting to defuse the whole situation.

"Stiles it worries us." The Sheriff simply replied.

"Oh, so you're in with him too?" Stiles asked, scowling intensely at Scott, who looked as guilty as a puppy who had just stolen food from an unattended plate.

"Stiles I-"

"I don't even care!" He calmed a little from his outburst. "Derek would never do anything to me. And even if he did, it wouldn't be in school." Stiles stared Scott down a little. "I thought I could trust you."

"Stiles, you can-"

"No. You both just want to ruin this, and I'm not having it." Stiles sighed loudly, Derek considered himself lucky that Stiles wasn't shouting. "Derek may be a little older but that doesn't matter."

"What does matter is that he is your teacher."

"Stiles, he's right." Derek said quietly, causing Stiles to turn and glare at him.

"Don't side with them...please." His eyes begged Derek's, moistened and ready to spill all of the emotions he was feeling.

"Stiles this will end badly," Scott stared between the two, looking sad. "And I can't let you continue this without realising that."

"They're right." Derek stared at the ground, avoid Stiles' glaring stare. "People are suspecting things."

"Only a handful of people know!"

"It's too many!" Derek sighed for getting angry, he was being stared down by everyone. So he avoided eye contact with everyone. "I could end up in an orange suit if this gets out." Stiles refused to respond, because he knew Derek was right. "My sisters already know, your friend knows and your father - who plays a massive role in the police force. Who is next, Stiles?" Derek bit his bottom lip, ripping a few layers of skin off. "I think...this needs to end here." Stiles' head suddenly pricked up, casting a worried look over to Derek.

"What...?"

"This is for the best...for both of us." Derek turned away, not taking a last look at Stiles. He shut the door, backing into his classroom. Stiles stared as he watched Derek go to sit at his desk.

"Come on Stiles, let's go." Scott pulled on the sleeve of Stiles' t-shirt. And he was too upset to bother arguing against it. He followed his father and best friend out of the school grounds.

|°|°|°|

-Derek-

Everything had been going so well but life has a tendency to throw things at you. I got home my sisters questioning me. They could smell how bad I felt as soon as I entered the house. I think any non-werewolf could also.

"So...what happened today?" I took a seat at the dining table, huffing a little.

"It's been a bad day." Laura nodded, passing me a cup of tea. "Well it wasn't all that bad until not long ago."

"Stiles?" I nodded, folding my arms over an the table. "How bad was it on a scale from one to ten?"

"Eleven." I nodded, biting my lip a little. "His father and Scott were watching us, he got mad. I told him they were right, how long is it going to be before his neighbour's dog knows?" Laura sighed, sitting next to me, her mug placed firmly next to mine.

"I see your point."

"The longer I leave it, the worse it will get, right?" She nodded reassuring me. "Besides, this is best for me. That's not selfish is it?"

"Not at all," She pays my shoulder lightly and stands up. "I'm proud of you, Derek."

|°|°|°|

-Stiles-

I went straight to Mr Hale's room as soon as I got in school. I made it no option to go anywhere else, avoiding everyone who would talk to me and taking the shortest way to his room.

I had done well enough to avoid Scott, I didn't particularly want to talk to him despite the need to talk things out with Derek.

Derek's classroom was unlocked, I headed right in, spilling my guts.

"Look my dad and friends are idiots, they're wrong. This is okay. Can you please just-" I stopped immediately. The janitor looked at me, mopping the floor.

"Is there something I can help you with?" I shrugged at him, hesitating a little.

"Well actually, where's D-Mr Hale."  The janitor shrugged, eyeing me up before returning to his mopping. He probably found it odd that I was a little teary eyed but I wasn't bothered. I just needed to talk things out with Derek.

"He's not here today," He laughed. "I don't think he's going to be here for a while." The janitor's voice was knowing, changing pitch often, he knew Derek wasn't coming back but wasn't going to tell me why. I swung out of the door, closing it behind me. I needed to know where he was and why, right away.

|°|°|°|

Stiles may have skipped a few lessons in order to head over to the Hale house, he had been speeding the whole way there. And when he arrived, everything was the same as before, quiet and not so homely. He threw himself out of the car, running up to the door. And he was about to knock, but the door swung open. And it wasn't much of a pleasant greeting. He could have half expected it not to be - with the Hale family. He cringed at himself.

"Where's De-" He met Cora's face, angry face. "I uh..." She folded her arms over, staring at me.

"He's going to be gone for a while."