-Chapter Twenty-One-

"What the hell does that mean?" Stiles paced around his living room. He hoped his dad wasn't listening to him. He stopped pacing, placing the phone against his chest for a moment, before running up the stairs to his room. He locked the window shut and sat on his bed. Bringing the phone back to his ear, he listened for Derek's voice.

"That means he's my uncle - Peter Hale." Derek's voice was blunt and no longer fearful. Stiles' heart rate was plummeting sky high. He gulped a little.

"Peter Hale is comatose." Stiles pronounced, confused. He was sure he had read that on the file.

"Not anymore." Derek shifts down the line, muffling sounds shooting their way down Stiles' ear. "He was a werewolf but we never thought he would heal."

"Why is your uncle following us around?" Derek is silenced down the line. He wasn't sure how to break this to Stiles. "He knows about us." He's says quietly, as if changing the subject would help.

"What does it matter?" Stiles was angry. Derek was holding back something, withdrawing information that Stiles wanted to know. Derek decided to bullshit his ways through this.

"He knows your my student." Derek bit his lip. He didn't like lying to Stiles but he couldn't exactly blurt out that Stiles was his mate.

"Your sisters know, my dad knows...what does it matter?" Derek was lying straight through his teeth, his heart raced.

"He's got pictures...of us together." Both of them silenced together. Derek felt incredibly guilty. "He's blackmailing me. If I don't do as I'm told, they go to the principal." Stiles remained silent for a moment, before finally thinking of something to say.

"We can tell my dad. My dad can get rid of the evidence and nobody else has to be involved-hell he can arrest Peter if he has to and nobody can question him because he's the freaking Sheriff-" Derek interrupted him. This was going to far already. He wasn't going to be able to keep up with his own lies.

"Stiles, just calm down..." He took a deep breath in, preparing for the next lie. "For now, he's living with us. He said he wouldn't doing anything with the pictures whilst he's under this roof." Derek face reddened. He knew Peter would probably be listening in from downstairs, along with his nosey sisters. "I'll talk to you later."

"Derek, wait-" He hung up quickly. He was pretty terrible at lying, especially to Stiles.

|°|°|°|

Derek avoided Stiles' calls over the weekend, hoping that he could lie to Stiles easier when it wasn't over the phone. When Stiles finally spoke to Derek, it was during class. Stiles was pissed. He had asked for help, so Derek walked to Stiles' desk and kneeled next to him.

"What do you need help with?" He was whispering so the other students wouldn't hear, just like teachers do.

"Why haven't you been answering my calls?" Stiles mumbles, looking at the question sheet on his desk. He stared into it, eyes sad.

"We can talk about this later, stay behind for a few moments after class Mr Stilinski and I can teach you about the themes of the book." He raised his voice a little, ensuring any other students listening assumed it was a normal conversation about the book.

Derek stood up from his kneeling position and pushed his glasses up his nose. Stiles grasped onto his arm, which Derek immediately pulled away from the touch. He couldn't be seen touchy and feely with Stiles. Stiles' eyes connected to Derek's for a brief moment, before shying away and frowning at his paper. Derek coughed a little, collecting himself and went to sit back at his desk.

After the lesson, Stiles did stay behind but remained in his seat. Derek closed the door after the last student left. Stiles folded his arms over, leaning on his desk.

"Why haven't you been returning my calls?" Derek pushed his glasses up his nose once again, before walking his way over to Stiles' desk and kneeling down in front of him.

"It's best if I don't. Not whilst Peter is living in the house." Stiles sighed dramatically, his arms remaining folded.

"Can't you just kill him." Derek let out a strained laugh.

"I wish." Derek leaned his arms on the desk in front of Stiles and kneeled a little closer than before.

"Maybe it's best if we just call this off." Stiles closed the book on his desk and threw it into his bag, as if what he just said didn't matter.

"What?" Derek gulped involuntarily. He was terrified his lie was now going to break the up, before Stiles even knew he was lying!

"All that we have caused for each other is just difficulty. We can't go out in public together, you can't leave Beacon Hills without me getting frustrated and hell-I can't even introduce myself to your family without us being attacked." Derek frowned at Stiles but no frowning could disagree, Stiles was right. He wished his parents were still here, they would have given him good advice. "I think it's best we just give up." Derek reaches for Stiles' arm, hand or really anything that he could hold onto.

"Stiles, we just need to wait until this school year is finished, I can quit here and I can work in the bistro nearby-"

"No, Derek." Stiles pulls his hand away, stuffing his pens and materials in his backpack. "You aren't giving up on your career for me. I'm just a kid." Stiles gets up, throwing his bag onto his bag and he leaves without a single look back towards Derek.

Derek doesn't feel guiltier than now. His lie just broke him and Stiles up - for good. Was it really worth lying to Stiles just because he's a werewolf's mate? Derek didn't know. He scrunched the blank piece of paper up that Stiles had left on the desk and threw it aggressively across the room. It wasn't satisfying enough, so naturally, the table went flying across the room too.

|°|°|°|

I know, I've been terrible, I haven't updated in a while...Any of my books in a while. I'm sorry my loves❤️