Chapter 3

Rewritten 03/07/2019

The first thing Lexi hear the next morning is the sound of her alarm going off. She sighs deep as she switches it off, not feeling ready for today just yet. The worries about Lewis and working with him had been on her mind the entire night and it made that she didn't have the best night of sleep. She knows, however, that she can't be late as that would be the worst way to start of her working relationship with Lewis. She gets out of bed and takes a quick shower before putting on some light make up and brushing out her long brown locks.

Last night she had already laid out her outfit for today so she wouldn't have to worry about it, even if it was a simple outfit. A pair of blue jeans and a white Mercedes team blouse, which she tucks into her jeans. Once she's done getting ready for the day, she stands in front of the full-body mirror in her room. She takes a deep breath as she looks at herself.

"You got this," Lexi whispers to herself, trying to believe her own words. Just then, her phone pings, letting her know she has received a text message. Surprised, she checks who it's from.

Unknown number
Hey, it's Maya! I'm ready to go downstairs for breakfast, wanna join me?

Lexi
Sure! Just finished getting ready myself. Will you pick me up?

Maya
On my way!

Not too long after, there's a knock on the door, which lets Lexi know Maya has arrived. She quickly grabs her phone as well as her room key before joining Maya for breakfast.

"Morning!" Maya greets her happily as Lexi steps outside her room, closing the door behind her.

"Morning! How did you sleep?" Lexi asks as they head to the elevator and get in, going down to the restaurant.

"Quite well and you?"

"Could've been better honestly."

"Probably just nerves for your first day. It'll pass, don't worry," Maya says as they reach the ground floor, where the restaurant is located. They get out and walk over there and see a big group of Mercedes team members is already scattered throughout the restaurant. Lexi and Maya first walk past the breakfast buffet before joining one of the groups.

"Hey, you're Lexi, right? Vince's daughter?" one of the guys at the table asks as they sit down. Maya had introduced her to him yesterday, but Lexi couldn't remember his name as she met so many people in such a short amount of time.

"That's me, nice to meet you," Lexi says politely, hoping the guy will tell her his name as well.

"Nice to meet you indeed. I'm Sam, I'm one of Lewis' mechanics."

"Guess we'll be seeing each other then," Lexi says, making Sam chuckle.

"Guess so. Have you met Lewis yet?"

"Not yet, was planning to go up to his room after breakfast to introduce myself before we head to the track."

"Sounds like a good idea. I spoke to him back at the factory after your dad told everyone you'd be replacing him and he seemed to want to meet you."

"That's good, I guess?" Lexi says, not really knowing what to think of it. Sam didn't say Lewis was looking forward to it or anything. He just wanted to meet her.

"Guess you'll find out in a bit," Sam says and Lexi nods in agreement.

"At least the feeling is mutual."

"Well good luck with it. I have to get going, got a long day ahead of me," Sam says as he gets up from the table.

"Thank you, good luck to you as well," Lexi says and Sam smiles at her before heading off. Maya gives her a knowing look, making Lexi's eyes widen.