BONUS : SEVENTEEN

Start from the beginning

"Sometimes I wish I'd never been born at all

"Sometimes I wish I'd never been born at all."

Tyler curled up into the fetal position, wrapping his arms tightly around his knees. Oxygen filled his lungs, carbon dioxide left. But still, he was not breathing. Tyler could feel it. He was not breathing.

His spine curled as he hugged his knees to his chest. He never expected to live past sixteen, but yet here he was, seventeen years old and still feeling the same way he always did. Nothing changed. It didn't get better. Everyone, every single person, had lied to him.

Tyler kept repeating to himself, sometimes in his head, sometimes aloud, that he would be okay.

He had lied, too.

"I wish I was never born," he said again, his words dying with the wind.

He was in his backyard. Decrepit, rusted bicycles leaned against the side of the garage. A trampoline loomed silently a few feet away. A dog barked somewhere in the distance. There were no cars in the driveway, no brothers or sisters or mothers or fathers in the house, no annoying neighbors mowing their front lawn.

Tyler was alone.

Slowly, almost uncertainly, Tyler reached out and felt the cool grass under his palm. The dewdrops wet his fingertips. Clouds crept along over his head.

The sky was dark that day. The rain came slowly at first, then it gradually became a thick sheet of water pouring down from above.

Tyler remained lying in the grass, his clothes soaking wet and sticking to his skin. His hair was drenched, a few sad pieces hanging limply in front of his eyes.

The water made his cuts burn.

But his eyes burned even more. Hot, salty tears ran down his cheeks, the teardrops joining the raindrops in making Tyler miserable. He cried. He cried for so long he couldn't tell if there was rain staining his clothes or tears.

He laid there for a solid two seconds. Twenty minutes. Two hours. Tyler couldn't tell. Time was the last thing on his mind at this point.

His mind.

His damn mind.

It was His fault, not Tyler's.

He told him to do this. He told him to kill that boy. He told him he had to do it, he told him all those terrible, terrible lies.

It was all His fault.

"Yes, it was all My fault."