2 : INITIATION

"Ty-"

In one swift motion, Tyler had Josh pinned against the wall, his favorite knife against the boy's throat.

"-Don't you dare, kid," Tyler snapped, his voice barely above a whisper. "Here, you call me Mad Gear, got it?"

Despite the heat radiating off of Tyler's body, Josh shivered. He forced himself a nod.

Tyler relaxed some, his grip of Josh loosening ever so slightly. He looked down, his lips inches away from Josh's neck. Josh could feel his hot breath on his skin.

"Listen," Tyler hissed, pressing his blade harder against Josh's throat. "I like you. I don't know why, but I do."

Tyler paused, as if expecting Josh to say something, but the boy remained silent.

"What you're gonna go through here is worse than you could ever imagine," Tyler continued. "You sure you want to go through with it?"

Josh forced himself to stop shivering and set his jaw. "Y-Yes sir," he squeaked.

Tyler chuckled softly and backed away from the boy pressed against the wall. Josh took a gasp for air and Tyler swiftly put his knife back in his belt.

"I'm glad you said that," Tyler murmured, smirking to himself.

"Why's that?" Josh panted, still trying to catch his breath after being choked multiple times tonight.

"Cause otherwise I'd have to kill ya." Tyler looked at Josh before laughing and continuing down the hall.

Josh didn't laugh.

"S-So wha-what do I have to do?" Josh rushed after Tyler, who didn't bother slowing down. "You said there was some...some kind of initiation?"

That same mischievous smirk as before lingered on Tyler's lips.

"I already told them that you're a softie, that they can't use any real weapons," Tyler explained nonchalantly, lifting his slender shoulder in a casual shrug. "You won't be bedridden for too long."

Josh's hazel eyes widened, but he didn't dare speak. Something was off about Tyler's tone. Despite his causality and sarcasm, his words were dipped in something else.

Sadness. Regret. As if he didn't really want this to happen.

Tyler continued walking down the dimly lit corridor, Josh scurrying beside him.

"Of course, we'll have to keep you in separate quarters until you've proved you can keep up," Tyler's grin widened. "A pretty boy like you would be ripped apart the first hour."

"W-What do you mean?" Josh stuttered, swallowing back his fear.

Tyler and his Clique were obviously not people to mess with. Tyler had already attempted to kill Josh multiple times. Josh had already seen Tyler kill two people. His own henchman, at that. Who's to say Josh was even going to survive this initiation?

"Are you kidding me?" Tyler laughed. "Look at you."

And Tyler did. Tyler looked Josh up and down, from his scuffed Vans to his dyed green hair. He sucked in a breath and licked his chapped lips before averting his eyes.

Josh felt his cheeks heat up. A million thoughts ran through his mind. What are his mother and father doing right now? His brother? His sisters? Are they worried? Do they even know he's gone?

If I had only taken a different way home...

Tyler suddenly stopped at the end of the corridor, in front of a heavy steel door. No window, no light. Josh's breathing quickened. Anxiety began setting in.