Chapter 46- Elizabeth

Rick walked outside, stopping in his tracks when he saw Daryl and me sitting on the porch with two blankets and pillows folded up next to us. Everyone piled out of the house, heading towards the street.

"Did you two sleep outside?" Carl asked as he sat Judith in a stroller.

Daryl shrugged, while I nodded, clearly sending the message that we didn't want to talk about it.

"They said explore, let's explore," Rick said, walking over to us. I looked at Daryl who just shook his head, "Nah, I'll stay here." With a sigh I stood up, leaving Daryl on the porch while I went to look around.

I wished Daryl trusted this place like we do. I know he said he did, but part of me feels like he was just doing that to make me feel good when in reality, he didn't trust this place one bit.

Looking around at how normal everyone looked made me feel angry. They've been living here, completely oblivion to the outside world, with nothing but their regular lives. I bet you only three people here actually know how to shoot a gun while the rest will just hide away in their houses when shit goes down.

Because shit always goes down.

When I saw a girl running with a dog I almost cracked up laughing at the sight. How is the dog even still alive? If we had a dog, they'd be dead in a second out there.

A lady, probable in her late 20's, early 30's walked up next to me, smiling as she looked at me. "Hi, I'm Elizabeth," The curly hair, red head said, extending her hand to me.

"Starlet," I said, shaking her hand as we continued to walk. "Sorry if I'm bother you, I already introduced myself to Rick and he suggested I find you."

"Why?" I asked confused as we followed the street filled with kids playing and laughing. If this was outside of these walls then this stranger next to me wouldn't be so calm and those kids would either be dead or silenced. Things are so different in here.

"Well, I have some left over baby things from when I had a baby and Rick told me you were pregnant. I figured they should go to you since I can't use them."

I stopped, looking at Elizabeth for a minute, studying her like she was a science project. "Thanks, I'll keep that in mind," I said before turning and continuing to walk. Elizabeth must not have gotten the hint that I didn't want to talk because she quickly caught up with me and started talking again.

"Can I ask you a strange question?" Elizabeth asked, making me shrug, "Sure, I guess."

"How did you find out you were pregnant? I mean, it's not like you can just walk into a hospital and ask if you're pregnant."

A soft laugh left my lips as I nodded in agreement, "Yeah, you can't exactly do that anymore." I looked at the ground, stuffing my hands into my pockets as I talked. "I was hit by a car and these two guys took me to this hospital where a few other people were. The next thing I know, I'm waking up and being told that I'm pregnant."

Elizabeth's eyes looked at me wide, "Wow. I've never heard of anyone getting pregnant in the middle of this hell hole, let alone find out like that." I looked at Elizabeth, smiling, "I guess you have to learn to expect the unexpected."

"You need new gigs, you're not ready for runs yet," I heard Aiden say, making me stop and look over to the gate. Elizabeth must have heard him too because she followed my eyes and looked over at Glenn and Aiden.

I started to fast walk over, listening to their conversation as I got closer. "Yeah, pretty sure you got that backwards," Glenn said and turned to walk away.