Chapter 6- Ride or Die

The sound of Hershel and Shane yelling back and forth only became background noise to me as I sat on the dirt ground, my back against my tree. My eyes staid forward, unable to move even as footsteps walked over to me.

Daryl.

He sat down next to me, bring his legs up like mine and laying his arms on them as he looked around. Silence filled the little space between us.

I was waiting, waiting for him to ask, and he did.

"Was she yours?" He asked, his southern accent still present.

Surprisingly I spoke, uncaring about the past or the secrets getting out. Maybe it's better if they did know my past.

"No, my brother's," I said, my eyes looking off still, not facing Daryl. "When all this shit went down, she was at school. I don't know if my brother just left her or if he couldn't find her, but I knew I could. She was with me the first month."

"Then what happened?" Daryl asked? I could feel his eyes on me, watching me to see what would be the breaking point. My breaking point doesn't exist anymore.

A sigh left my lips as I whipped away the dry tears, "Then she got taken, or so I thought" I turned around, picking up my gun and bag.

Daryl grabbed my arm, not roughly but rough enough to stop me. "You leaving still?" He asked, his voice so quiet I thought I heard a sense of sadness in it.

"No, but we might be," I said, pulling my bag over my shoulder and looking off at where Rick stood on the steps, his hand running through his hair.

Lori walked up to me while Daryl staid sitting on the ground. "Are you okay?" Lori asked and I nodded, "Yeah, so what's next?"

Lori glanced at Daryl before looking back at me, "We bury the dead and burn the rest."

I nodded, looking around, "Alright, I'll help."

Daryl took that as his chance to stand up and intervene. "Maybe you should just take it easy."

"Yeah, we got plenty of help," Lori agreed.

Shaking my head I said, "I got to do something and since I don't have my bike to get my mind off things then I need to do something with a weapon."

Daryl looked at Lori and nodded to her to go ahead. She hesitated for a moment before walking away, squeezing my shoulder for comfort. Daryl looked at me, grabbed my gun and slipped it off my arm before leaning it on the tree. "Come on," he nodded, walking away.

I looked at him confused but followed him anyways. He walked over to his motorcycle, taking the keys out of his pocket and getting on. I stopped and looked at him, waiting for this to be some kind of a joke.

"You coming or what?" Daryl asked me, discarding my thoughts. I sighed but slipped onto the bike, wrapping my arms around his waist before we took off. The feeling of the breeze against my face made my body already relax and my mind begin to clear.

Before I knew it, I was laying my head onto Daryl's back, a few tears slipping out. The tears weren't for Cassie, or for what had happened, they were for this. It had been so long since I rode on a bike and felt free that I couldn't help but cry from it.

I felt Daryl look at me for a second before returning his eyes to the road. We rode around for about an hour before returning back to the farmhouse. Lori ran up to us, clearly looking worried.

"Hey, Beth's in some kind of catatonic shock. We need Hershel and he's in town, can you two run into town real quick and bring him and Rick back?"

"You got two legs that ain't broken," Daryl said as I climbed off of the bike, smacking his shoulder in the process. He glanced at me before getting off his bike and walking it off somewhere.