Chapter 26- Let's Finish This

Preparing.

That's what you have to do when it comes to doing anything in life. You prepare for a friend to come over. You prepare dinner when your husband gets home. You prepare to fight when a war is coming.

Right now was no different. We were preparing, preparing to fight, to run, to win.

Everyone was gathering their things, throwing them in the back of the cars. I still didn't have too many things so everything fit in my bag. Daryl didn't have much either which meant everything fit in one bag as well.

Daryl packed his bag quietly, throwing his clothes in it before slipping on his leather jacket and angle vest. "I'll be by the bike," Daryl said, throwing his bag over his shoulder before leaving our cell.

I watched him leave, feeling the hurt and pain he felt as he left.

I finished packing my things, throwing my bag over one shoulder while the other held my gun. My knife was in its place on my side, ready to be pulled out and used if need be.

A long sleeve shirt sat under my jean jacket, a pair of black gloves with the finger tips open sat on my hands, and a pair of black boots that had more mud stains then anything else sat on my feet.

Daryl hadn't said much after he came back yesterday, only filling me in before drifting off into the silence. I filled Rick in and word got around pretty quick.

I headed downstairs, poking my head into Carl's room to find him still packing. "You okay?" I asked, knowing he wasn't. He hated that him, Beth, Hershel, and Judith had to hide in the woods while we fight.

Daryl wanted me to go with them, but there was no way I was going to do that. Besides, everything was going to be fine, I could feel it in my gut.

"Yeah," Carl said, throwing his huge bag over his shoulder before walking out of the cell. He paused and looked at me, "Thanks for not telling my dad about the grenade."

I nodded, "I promised."

With that, Carl and I headed outside to find everyone still throwing bags and food in the back of the vehicles.

I found Daryl by his bike, fixing up a few things on it while Rick fixed up one of the cars. I made my way over to Daryl, stopping and looking at him as he worked. He must have noticed because he stopped, looked up at me, and started to talk, "You know, Merle and I never had any of this."

I smiled and nodded, "He gave us a chance, and we gave him one too. That's what counts."

Daryl stared at me, making me hold out my hand. He sighed and took it, holding onto it as he threw his bag onto the side of the bike, mine going on the other side.

"I'm gonna hide the bike and our stuff."

"Okay, I'm going to go get ready, see ya later." Daryl looked at me, giving me a kiss goodbye before leaving.

My eyes looked around, meeting with Rick's as he gave me a small nod. I nodded back, telling him I was ready.

We were ready.

Once the prison looked abandon and all the cars were hidden, we all went our separate ways.

Carl, Judith, Beth, and Hershel went in the woods. Glenn and Maggie were up in one of the watch towers, wearing protective gear and ready to fire on the governor. I was in the other watch tower, ready to radio in when they got here and shoot the governor down. Everyone else was in the corridors, ready to scare them out of the prison.