Chapter Forty-Eight

Start from the beginning

"Don't worry about them," Louis says nonchalantly.

"I'm not," I lie. 

Louis lets out a big laugh, but it doesn't really bother me. In fact, it kind of does the opposite. Louis' always so calm about everything that whenever I get all bent out of shape he keeps me in check. We've got a good system.

"So," he says as I pay for our drinks, "you want to let me in on what it is you've got going on now? And don't you play dumb with me. A wingman can only help a pal out only so much if he's on the outs."

I roll my eyes at him as he pretends to flap his arms like wings. 

"You're an idiot," I laugh, handing him the bottle.

"Help me, help you," he quips. "Things are back on then?"

"Suppose they are," I reply. "That is until someone failed to mention he was bringing along miss priss and her pals."

"Excuse me," he snorts with laughter, "last I heard you two were hollering at each other like cats and dogs and might I add, you're the one jumping in my car last minute." He raises his bottle as if toasting to the fact that I'm a total git.

"Fair enough," I concede, laughing at my own stupidity. "I guess we're just keeping quiet about it."

"You really think this is a good idea and all?"

"You got a better idea?" I laugh.

"Dunno," he shrugs, "I mean I get why you'd want to, but she's a proper dame through and through. Not sure if I'd be so risky."

"How do you mean?"

"You really think any of the lads back home ever kept her a secret?" he asks with a little scoff. 

The thought of past sweethearts puts my already frazzled nerves into an even more knotted up mess.

"Bloody hell, mate!" Louis laughs as he nearly chokes on his drink, "Your face!"

"Ah, sod off," I tell him, mildly entertained by his near spill. "Why is it you're so caught up in my business? Haven't you got a some gal of your own to get into trouble with?"

"I mean, I came with three tonight didn't I?" Louis says with raised eyebrows, making us both of us burst into laughter. "In all honesty," he continues, "I haven't got the time really."

"What?" I laugh. "Can't pencil anything in between work and bugging me?"

Louis lets out a little chuckle, but quiets as he rubs the back of his neck. "So listen. I haven't told the lads yet, but I'm thinking of enlisting."

I stop walking immediately. 

"You can't be serious."

"What?" He shrugs. "War's coming. You know it's true."

"You don't know that," I say firmly. He shakes his head before taking another sip and walking ahead. "Mate, you don't," I nearly yell as I pull him back.

"Why am I driving government goons to and from the factory all week, hm? Why is it that we even have Kitty and girls gettin' trained? You work in that office, mate. You know they're up to something."

"So? Maybe it's just precautions," I reason weakly. "You know how careful business folk are." 

He calmly raises an eyebrow like I'm the dumbest person in the world.

"Yeah, well I'm aiming for a best deal I can get and I know wishful thinking isn't going to get me there," he snaps. Louis tosses his head in a huff as he tries to cool down. "Don't you want to make it through this thing?"