Whispers in the Wind - Chapter 13

Chapter 13:

Jase:

The blood pumped furiously in my head. The thoughts rushed impossibly fast, causing everything to tilt and sway. I pushed myself harder, my paws thumping against the ground painfully, lungs starting to struggle under the strain I was putting them under. But I didn’t care. Why care when everything you thought you knew was a lie?

Digging was all that I could have done. And digging was everything that I had done. A trip to the grandparents was all I needed to confirm what I’d been fearing for the past few days; Dante McCormack was my father. It hadn’t been easy getting the information out of them; hell, I think shattering the plates had been a little bit over the top, but I’d got the answers I’d needed.

Now all I had to do was find Dante.

I wasn’t quite sure of the reason behind it. I didn’t even know what I was going to say to the bastard when- if I found him. All I knew was that…the feeling of complete emptiness needed something to evade it. Getting rid of it was paramount in getting on in life. And talking to Dante was the only thing that I could come up with that could do that.

Sure; I could have talked to Sierra about it, and she could have done all the loving wife bullshit. Telling me that I still had her and Max, and that they were my family. But she wasn’t really, was she? Damn it, she wasn’t even a wolf. She was just some weak human who I’d accidentally marked in a moment of stupidity. Her clinginess had me running in the opposite direction without a second thought. And, although she had given me Max – who right now was the only reason that I wasn’t leaving for good – the fact remained that the number of screws I had had during our marriage had all been better than anything she had ever done to me.

A low growling to the left made me skid to a halt, looking around with wary eyes; I was in foreign territory now, I’d left the safe confines of Knight land far behind. Now came a time to be cautious. Very cautious.

My head swivelled in the direction of the noise, zoning in on the wolf creeping out of the bushes. Well-built and stocky, I knew that we were well matched, but I had experience on my side; he looked too young to have much of a handle on things.

This is McCormack territory, he snarled, flashing his teeth, you’ve no purpose here.

Smirking inwardly, I towered over the wolf, eyes flashing slightly as I sized him up properly.

I’m here to see him, I replied coolly, be a good pup and take me to him.

The wolf growled again, taking a step towards me before suddenly faltering, his head bowed low in an obvious sign of submission.

I’ll take you, he grumbled, turning on his heel, this way. He started to trot off into the night, his hackles still raised, and I followed, an air of smugness about me that hadn’t been there before. I never turned down a fight, but I wasn’t particularly in the mood for arguing with some lower rank wolf.

For a while we walked in silence, neither of us particularly wanting to say anything to the other. Who could blame him? He was a pawn, really. That’s all any of McCormack’s pack was in the end. They were all useless sodding pawns.

All of a sudden, the wolf shifted back into a man, cracking his neck quietly as he walked towards a broken fence in the back of someone’s garden. He held a slat open for me, looking at me with untrusting blue eyes. Well, at least he had a good judge of characters.

I looked up at the house in front of me, which was shrouded in darkness.

Well…Here went nothing.