1.

Charlotte

"Today here lies Destiny Harper King. She was a good person, a beautiful wife, a loving mother, but more importantly, she was one of us. She cared for those who needed caring. Loved those who needed loving, and helped those who needed helping. She would always put others first. Destiny was our hope. The sun's rays. The birds chirping. Swans peacefully swimming gracefully on the pond. One day we had her, the next we didn't. We will always remember her. For her generosity. Her warm smile. Her unreplenishable kindness. But most importantly, for being a King in our town."

I can't help but cry at the pastor's speech. I sob uncontrollably into my father's chest. He just holds me, but I feel his heart beat in a weird way. I know he is deeply affected by mom's death as well.

I take a look around and notice everyone dressing in black from head to toe. Most people have their heads down, the rest are looking at the pastor. No one dare speaks a word. They just cry silently.

"Would the husband and daughter please say a few words?" the pastor asks as he steps away from the pedestal. Dad and I walk up to the stand. We are handed a few tissues and I assume they are for me for when I present my speech.

"Destiny was all I could ever ask for. Loving, caring, joyful, selfless. I'm honored to be married to her. She will never leave my mind nor my heart. I can't imagine my life without Destiny. For it was her who made my heart whole. She brought my wonderful, strong, and beautiful daughter, Charlotte, into this world. It was her who convinced us to get married at such a youthful age. It was her who brightened up my day, every day. It's her who I wanted to see every night before I closed my eyes and every moment when I opened them. To see her smile as if she had won the lottery. To smell her as if she were fresh strawberries just picked. To touch her as if her skin was made from satin. To taste her as if she was a chocolate chip cookie, fresh out of the oven. But more importantly, to hear her laugh. Because I know we can all agree that her laugh were as if angels were ringing church bells on Sunday morning. I don't believe it was time for her to leave. But I do believe that she is looking down and smiling at all of us. Encouraging us to push forward, and never forget who we are, especially without her by our side."

I cry again at his speech, but I wipe my tears away so I can speak mine. I step up as he steps down. I take a look around the crying, dark crowd. I close my eyes and take a deep breath. Then I open them and face the cluster of relatives.

"I may be only 16. But from my 16 years of living, I have come to the following terms: My mother was a affectionate, comical, elegant, bright, generous woman. She wouldn't hurt a fly. She wouldn't kill even if her own life depended on it. She loved helping others, no matter the cost. She always saw the good in people. It's what made her a good person. For the past week, I've been crying myself to sleep, and praying that she would come back. But I have learned that she isn't, and that she is gone. I still don't believe that, but it's the truth. She's physically gone, but I can still feel her presence by my side, and I hope that feeling never goes away. I thought I couldn't go on without her, but, like my father said earlier, she is pushing me to continue through school and through life. However, I think God is punishing her, or us even, for possibly taking advantage of my mother and her generosity. All she ever did was give, and all we did was take, without taking the time to stop and say thank you. You can't just assume you have a next year when others don't even have a tomorrow. Or an hour. Or a minute. Or even a second. I'll miss you, mom. You will always be on my mind, in my heart, and through my eyes, by my side. Thank you."

I step down and go back to my father's side where he hugs me tightly.

"I couldn't ask for a better daughter. I know your mother would have been proud," he whispers and I cry quietly into his suit, staining it with my tears. "Come on, let's go home. I can't stand to be around here anymore."

I nod my head in agreement. I've cried enough. I'm going to live my life.

Just like mom would have wanted me to.

Officially edited.