FORTY SIX

FORTY SIX;
SNEAKY

HOSPITALS WERE BORING AND SMELLED BAD. Even from a young age, Cassie always hated hospitals with a burning passion. Somehow, she always managed to get in trouble and ended up at a hospital for really dumb reasons, Charlie didn't like them either, and he too managed to always pay a visit for making trouble at school.

The brunette exhaled loudly as she rested the back of her head against the wall of the waiting area. Her fingers began playing with the strap of her cast and then, she began swinging her feet from left to right to kill time. Every time she moved, a sensation of comfort lingered in her body. The most she moved, the better she felt about the situation.

She tapped her knee with her free hand and turned her eyes to see her companion, the woman who constantly made her life impossible. The brunette smiled mischievously as she focused her mind on the pencil in Stella's hand, and suddenly, it began to float away from her grip. Cassie giggled as the young woman tried to reach out to grab the pencil.

"Cassandra can you please stop being this childish? We're in a hospital. Behave yourself." Stella scolded her, and Cassie couldn't stop herself from rolling her eyes with annoyance. "You shouldn't be using your powers in public." She whispered.

"Since when you care?" The girl said and leaned back on the chair with annoyance. "Besides, it's Bruce's office, I think he's okay with it."

"I don't care if he's okay with it or not, you're in a public area so you will behave." The woman said sternly and looked back at the notebook on her lap.

"Cassandra Harding?" A nurse called out with a bright smile and Cassie stood up. "Follow me please."

"I'll go alone." The girl announced and walked behind the small nurse to the end of the hall.

Cassie pressed her lips together as she walked into a white and cold room and sat on the examination table, or chair? The girl frowned as she caressed the material and wondered out loud if it was a table or a chair.

"It's a table, in case you were wondering." Bruce interfered in her thoughts and the brunette smiled. "Hello, Cassie. How are you?"

"Well, I could be better." She shrugged and Bruce chuckled lightly. The man sat in front of her and admired the cast around her arm with a frown.

"Would you mind taking off your jacket to have a better look of it?" He asked and the brunette froze. She felt her forehead getting wet from the nervous sweating. Her eyes glanced down at the black jacket and hesitantly nodded. "Let me help you."

As promised, Bruce helped the teenager take off the jacket with careful movements. Cassie noticed his eyes over the shirt she was wearing, but he didn't make a comment about it. Instead, he proceeded to check the arm.

"It seems like your arm healed perfectly." That comment made Cassie smile brightly and forget about the shirt. "I can remove the cast now. Do you want me to?" The girl nodded rigorously. "Okay."

The brunette watched in silence how Bruce collected the items he needed to remove the cast and how concentrated he seemed as he did so. She chuckled lightly as he started using the cast saw to cut the hardest part of the cast, and it tickled her. Bruce smiled as he used the cast spreader to loosen it, then he opened it like a book. Cassie raised her eyebrows at the sight of her arm.