TWENTY EIGHT

TWENTY-EIGHT;
REVENGE

CHEMISTRY WAS NEXT, and Cassie exhaled deeply as she walked into the classroom and spotted her seat next to Peter. He looked at her with a mix of confusion and guilt, which she tried to ignore as she sat on the desk without glancing back at the boy.

Even with the students chatting and laughing inside the classroom, the teenagers couldn't ignore the awkward silence lingering between them. The brunette pursed her lips together and took out her cards to shuffle them to try and ease the anger of losing her only and true friend.

Peter quickly turned his head to admire the girl and half-smiled at her, but he instantly looked away when her head snapped up to his direction. He wanted to scream and tell her he loved her, but he couldn't, he felt like if he did that, their friendship would be broken. It's not like it isn't already, he thought.

"Hi, Cassie." They both looked up when Harry's voice echoed in the room.

Cassie frowned. "Hi, Harry." The brunette sighed, putting her cards inside her backpack and looking at the tall boy in front of her. "What do you need?"

"I brought you something." Harry stammered and showed a small box that he had hidden behind his back. "I hope you like it." Cassie raised her eyebrows with amusement.

"What is this?" She asked, sitting straight on the desk and trying her best to ignore the students curiously looking at them. "Can it wait? I'm kind of tired."

"Just open it." The boy muttered, playing with his fingers. She pursed her lips together and obeyed his orders.

She felt speechless as she looked at the cake in front of her, a quiet gasp escaped her lips as her brown eyes scanned over the blue letters written over the chocolate cake. Her eyes snapped up to Harry, who was playing with his hands in a nervous manner.

Never, in a million years, Cassie would think of someone would want to go with her to a school dance. The only one she hoped to ask her to homecoming was Peter and he didn't even want to talk to her. An idea crossed her mind as she admired the cake in front of her, she smiled and stood up with the cake still in her small hands.

"I'd be honoured, Harry." She faked a smile, trying to ignore the death glare Peter was sending both of them.

"Really? Wow! Um, amazing!" Harry smiled awkwardly, Cassie pressed her lips together to not laugh. "I guess I'll see you later?" The brunette nodded with a small smile.

"Yeah."

"Okay." He nodded and kissed her cheek quietly, catching her and everyone out of guard. Peter clenched his fists with annoyance. "See you later. Bye Pete." He nodded and walked out of the classroom.

Cassie smiled and looked down at the cake resting on the desk she was seating on. Her head snapped to Peter's direction, who was fuming and sending daggers to her direction.

"What are you looking at, Parker?" She snapped with a bittersweet tone.

+++

Cassie rolled her eyes once more as she reluctantly walked through the streets of Manhattan, she crossed her arms over her chest as she felt the cold water from the sky soaking her clothes and hair, and Peter's voice was getting on every nerve of her body.

"Can you shut up?" She finally snapped as they walked into the Stark tower. "I don't see why you are so worried."

"Because Harry doesn't know what loyalty is! He will end up dumping your ass!" Peter argued, cleaning his soaking jacket.

"We are not friends, so stop sticking your nose in my business." Cassie said, pressing one of the bottoms of the elevator. "Maybe he changed! He could be a good friend, not like you."

"So are you doing this for revenge?" Peter asked with a frown. "Cassie if you could only listen to me–" The boy pleaded, stepping inside with her.

She rolled her eyes. "Oh, don't worry. You chose Michelle over me. Point taken." She sarcastically replied, waiting for the doors to open. "Now leave me alone."

"What if I don't want to?" He smirked, crossing his arms over his chest. Cassie looked up at him with a frown.

"What if I want you to?" She said, crossing her arms over her chest. Peter sighed deeply. "Look, you said we can't be friends anymore because it's 'for the best', well, that's what I'm doing." The boy exhaled frustratedly.

"I know what–" He began, but the doors opening made him stop talking. The brunette took that as a cue to leave. "Wait, Cassie–"

But Cassie wasn't listening to him anymore, her eyebrows knitted together as she scanned the room full of adults, everyone was looking at them with quizzical eyes. She frowned when she saw Steve and Sam silently looking at her with serious expressions. Then, confusion took over her facial expressions when she saw Stella sitting in front of them with a nervous smile.

"First. Aren't you two supposed to be in jail or something?" She asked, crossing her arms over her chest. "Second, what is she doing here?"

"How we got out of jail is a story for later." Steve explained standing up. "And about her... we don't really know." He scratched the back of his neck.

"I followed you here, yesterday." Stella explained. "I was curious to know where you live."

"That's a little creepy, isn't it?" The brunette crossed her arms over her chest. "Why would you do that?"

"Because you are still underage and you used to live with Charlie, but he's gone. That means–" She explained, Cassie and everyone looked at each other with a bewildered expression.

"That I'm back in the adoption system." Cassie continued.