THIRTY EIGHT

THIRTY-EIGHT;
DON'T LEAVE ME PT.2

IT DEFINITELY HURT.

It hurt Peter seeing her like that, it broke his heart in million pieces. He felt unable to leave her that day, and the next, and the next. He was glued to the metallic chair next to her white bed, and his hand was always holding her pale, cold one.

"Good morning." He whispered, opening the curtains to let the rays enter the room. He turned around, hoping to see her awake, but her eyes were still closed. "Hey." He sighed, sitting back on the chair.

Exhaling deeply, he took her hand and admired her pale face. It had several cuts and bruises from the impact, and they were slowly disappearing because of her mutant way of healing and whatever chemicals or serums HYDRA put on her body. Peter stood up from the chair and pressed a gentle kiss on her forehead.

"Don't leave me, Cassie." He whispered, kissing the palm of her soft hand. "I–I need you here, with me." He cleaned the tear in his cheek. "I know you are strong, and you will wake up."

His chestnut eyes scanned the unconscious girl in the bed with sadness and he tried to push away the horrible memories he had been experimenting lately.

It's his fault

Mr. Stark's words echoed in his mind like a broken record, and it hurt his heart even more. Deep down, he knew it was true. Cassie was there because of him, because he didn't follow her or checked she was okay. He simply ignored the bad feeling in his gut, and the consequence was his girlfriend being unconscious, two broken ribs and a broken arm.

He sighed deeply as he watched the girl in front of him, a sad smile took over his features as he slowly remembered the funny and adorable memories they shared together before everything went downhill. Just because of him.

"You can't leave me, Cassie." He whispered, caressing her hand. "I can't live without you being around me, without hearing your voice and seeing your incredible magic tricks." He smiled sadly. "I still remember the first time you spoke to me, when the science teacher paired us for the fair. We were really awkward and nervous around each other, but you instantly felt comfortable around me." A small tear left his eye, he didn't bother to clean it. Peter sighed, admiring her features. "You are the best thing that has ever happened to me, and I can't believe you're slipping out of my hands this fast. I won't let you go that easily, Cassie, you have to wake up."

"Hey, I suck at science so you should be really patient with me." The brunette said as she dropped the backpack on the floor.

"It's okay." Peter laughed, leaving the keys in the coffee table. "I don't think I should be patient, you are really smart." Cassie blushed.

"Uh, thanks Pete–" She said. "Wait, can I call you Pete?" She instantly asked, making Peter blush as well.

"Yeah, it's fine." He nodded, sitting on the couch next to her. "Can I call you Cass?"

"No one really calls me Cass..." She trailed off, and Peter regretted asking that question. Cassie chuckled. "But yeah, you can call me Cass. It can be our friendship nicknames."

"Friendship?" Peter repeated, cleaning the sweat of his hands on his jeans.

"Yeah." She nodded, pressing her lips together. "Or you don't want to be my friend?"

"No! No! I–I mean, yes. I mean, I do want to be your friend, it's just–" He stuttered.

Her smile turned into a smirk. "Pete, it's fine. I'm only joking."

Peter smiled sweetly, holding her hand and pressing a soft kiss in it. He stood up and placed a long lasting, meaningful kiss on her forehead. He sat back on the uncomfortable chair and held her sane hand with both of his own hands, the boy sighed deeply as he looked at her face with sadness.

"Hey, beautiful." Peter smiled as he walked to the girl playing with the levitating eggs in front of her. "What are you doing?"

"I was trying to cook an omelette." She smiled, taking the eggs in her hands and placing them on the table. "But I got a bit distracted." The boy smiled as he rested his hip against the kitchen island next to her.

"Do you want me to help you?" He offered, smiling sweetly at her. "We can be chefs for a day." Cassie scoffed. "Hey, I'm a great cook!"

"Yeah, sure." She smiled, looking down at the eggs. Peter grinned happily and wrapped his arm around her, the brunette giggled. "Peter."

"Mhm?" He mumbled, pressing a kiss on the crown of her head.

"You are distracting me."

"Am I distracting you?" He repeated, arching an eyebrow. "How come?" He bowed his head, pressing his forehead against hers.

"Doing this." She pointed, leaving the eggs aside to wrap her arms around his neck. "You're doing this on purpose, aren't you?"

"Depends." Peter smiled, kissing the tip of her nose, Cassie smiled. "Is it working?"

"Probably."

A few tears left Peter's eyes, he shook his head as he tried to suppress the painful memories. He rested his forehead on the bed and sniffled loudly, crying his heart out and letting the pain take over his actions. He kissed Cassie's hand and pressed it to his chest, anxiously trying to make her feel his own heartbeat. Maybe that would make her wake up, what if she felt how broken his heart was? What if that made her wake up?

Peter waited, but nothing happened.

"Don't leave me, please." He whispered. "I love you, Cassie."