FORTY ONE

FORTY ONE;
WAKE UP

CASSIE LET OUT A FRUSTRATED SIGH as she stared down at the horribly cut cucumber in front of her. She rested her hand on the counter and counted to ten to calm herself and not let the anger take over her. A deep sigh left her lips as she grabbed the knife once again and tried to cut the fruit once again.

With the corner of her eye, she watched someone walking towards her. "Hey, what's wrong?" Peter asked, placing his hand on her lower back and smiling down at her. "Do you need help?" Cassie nodded. "Here, I'll hold the cucumber and you cut it."

The brunette smiled sheepishly as she carefully grabbed the knife and started cutting the cucumber slowly and with Peter's help. He smiled as he helped her prepare her salad and started talking about his day with her, the boy watched as she carefully ate the salad and listened to what he was saying.

"And how are you feeling?" He asked, holding her hand and with worry in his chestnut eyes. Cassie opened her mouth to talk, but closed it. "You don't need to talk, alright?" He added almost immediately.

She nodded and carefully placed the plate inside the sink, Peter uncrossed his arms and held her free hand with a faint smile. Cassie smiled as well and walked to the couch, the boy trailing behind her heels.

"Ned has been asking for you." Peter commented, plopping down on the comfortable couch next to her. Cassie smiled. "He's worried sick about you." He placed his arm around her shoulders and she rested her cheek against his warm chest. "Are you tired?" She nodded.

The boy sighed as she wrapped her arm around him and closed her eyes to try and get some quality nap after a long and tiring week. Peter traced lines on the skin of her arm as he looked at the window with calmness.

"Thank you." She whispered and Peter's widened.

"Cassie–"

"I–" She began but Tony walked into the room, making her close her mouth instantly because of the look on his face.

"There's something you need to see."

+++

Cassie sighed as she followed Tony through the corridor. Her free hand was shaking and she anxiously played with the tips of her hair to try and calm herself. The man turned around and exhaled deeply as he walked next to her, his face turned to meet her gaze and half-smiled.

"It's there." He pointed at the glass door, catching Cassie's attention. "Do you want me to go in with you?"

"No." The girl said quietly, making Tony frown. "I want to do this alone."

Tony nodded, but didn't say anything. Cassie turned to look at him once more before walking into the cold and massive room. Her eyes scanned the place with confusion but stopped at the sight of a bed in the middle. Her brother was sleeping on it, his face was full of hideous injures and scratches.

"C–Charlie?" Her voice broke as she walked to him. He didn't move. "Oh god." She held his pale hand in hers. "You are alive." She choked out, caressing the palm of his bruised hand. Her eyes stared lovingly at him and she removed the long hairs from his face. "I missed you so much. I don't think you will ever understand how horrible it was to without you."

Cassie sighed, sitting on the edge of the bed. Her warm hand still held his as she stared at him and admired every inch of his face. He seemed tired and broken. She wanted him to wake up and to recognize her, she wanted to tell him everything she was dying to let him know. She wanted to tell him about Peter and her adventures with the Avengers.

"Wake up, brother." She cried, bringing his hand to her chest. "Please, don't leave me here alone. I need you." Shakily, she let go of his hand to clean the falling tears in her cheeks. "I know you probably won't recognize me when you wake up, but I want you to know that I love you. I know you love me as well." She smiled. "As your little sister I beg you to wake up. I want to play and cook and dance with you, like when we were little." A bittersweet laugh left her lips. "Like that time when we pranked Lily and her sister in the group home, remember? You told me that we had to hide in Mrs. Garcia's room so they couldn't find us." She didn't expect to get a response from him, but she sighed sadly when he didn't move. "I know we are not blood siblings, and maybe you're tired with putting up with me but I love you, brother. You will always be my brother."

"Please wake up, Charlie. I want to make more memories with you and with Peter–" She cut herself off. "Did I mention that I'm dating Peter?" Her smile widened. "And that Tony bought me a piano? There's so much I want to tell you, a lot happened when you were gone."

His silence was killing her. She missed his loud voice every time he bossed her around to clean her room or the dishes she used, or to do her homework. She missed his horrible dad jokes every time she was feeling down. She missed having movie marathons every Sunday.

She missed her brother.