THIRTY SIX

THIRTY-SIX;
BAD FEELING

"GOD I'M SO STUPID!"

Cassie paced around the room as she shakily tugged the sleeves of Peter's jacket, she ignored the horrible feeling at the pit of her stomach as she glanced at the floor and her fluffy socks. To say she felt like an idiot was an understatement, she felt utterly stupid and embarrassed.

She ran her fingers through her hair as she stuttered random words and apologies under her breath and ignored the man looking at her from the doorframe.

"You are going to make a hole on the floor." Tony said, staring at her with a small smile. Cassie stopped dead in her tracks to look at him. "Here, sit." He walked to the bed and sat on the edge, the brunette joined him in silence.

"Sorry." She muttered, looking down at her fingers. Tony sighed and rested his hand on her shoulder. "I–It slipped out."

"It's alright, I understand."

"I just–" She started, running her fingers through her hair. "Well, you are the closest thing I have to a father figure."

"And I'm glad to hear that, kid." A sincere smile took over Tony's features as he admired the girl next to him. "I don't care if you called me dad, I mean, someday I will be–" Cassie snapped her head up to meet his gaze. "Spiderling didn't tell you, right?"

"Tell me what?" She asked, pressing her lips together as she waited for his answer.

"That I'm going to adopt you."

+++

Tony exhaled as he walked back to the laboratory and quietly closed the door behind him. He tried to ignore the pair of eyes following his movements as he scanned the suit on his station.

"Don't look at me like that." He mumbled, taking his tools. He looked up to meet Natasha's gaze and sighed. "What now?"

"I have a bad feeling, Tony." She shortly said, crossing her arms over her chest. "I think this mission is too much. And bringing Cassie and Peter to the equation?" Tony rolled his eyes.

"You are starting to sound like Wanda." He dropped his tools to look at his friend. The woman raised an eyebrow. "They are going to be fine, Spiderling is going to take care of her every moment. He promised it."

"I know he will, Tony. But even Peter can't protect her from what Charlie can do to her." The man stopped dead in his tracks to look at her.

"Believe me, he will." He nodded his head with a smug smirk. "They are two kids in love, Natasha. And Peter will do anything to keep her safe, I'm sure of it." He reassured. "You worry too much."

"Have you thought about how she's going to act when she sees him?" She raised her eyebrows. "Tony, she sneaked out to go see her crazy brother, how do you expect her to react when she sees him again?"

"Nothing, Natasha. Nothing bad is going to happen." Tony snapped, resting his hands on the edge of the station. A sigh left his lips. "She's ready, believe me. I've seen her."

"But–" She started.

"This bad feeling of yours is only an illusion. Nothing bad is going to happen, I'm sure of it." Natasha sighed and turned around. "Where are you going?"

"To sleep. Tomorrow is going to be a tough day." She explained and Tony exhaled.

"You worry too much, woman."

+++

Cassie sighed deeply as she looked at her boyfriend's features and smiled sweetly at him. She pressed her lips together as she rolled out of bed and searched for her socks, until a hand pulling her back to the bed made her squeal.

"Peter!" She laughed, turning her head to look at him. "What are you doing?"

"Nothing." He mumbled, hiding his face in the crook of her neck, Cassie giggled. "I won't let you go. You are going to stay with me." She laughed.

"But I'm hungry" She argued, looking up to meet his gaze.

"Good to know." He said and kissed the crown of her head, Cassie playfully rolled her eyes. "Don't make me web you up." He smirked.

The girl exhaled deeply and turned around to face him, she silently wrapped her arms around him and rested her cheek on his chest. She smiled when the strong smell of his cologne filled her nostrils and his warm fingers caressed her shoulder. Peter sighed happily as he kissed her head and wrapped his arm around her waist to pull her closer to him.

"Are you nervous?" Peter asked, looking at the ceiling. "For tomorrow." He added almost instantly.

"Not really." She said, looking at their interlaced fingers. "But I'm sure everything is going to be just fine."

"Of course." Peter nodded and placed his hand under her chin to make her look at him.

Soon, the room was filled with Cassie's giggles as Peter showered her face with several kisses. He laughed at the sound of her laugh and then wrapped his arms around her to pull her close to him, again.

"Pete?" She asked after a long silence between them.

"Mhm?" He replied, closing his eyes and resting his cheek in her head. Cassie chewed her lower lips with nervousness.

"I–uh, I love you." She stuttered. Peter laughed, making her frown and look at him.

"Too early for that, don't you think?" He teased, Cassie frowned and sat straight in the edge of the bed. "What?" But she stayed silent.

"I'd like to be alone." She said quietly.

"Cassie." Peter sighed, scooting closer to her. "I was only joking–"

"Just leave, Peter." She ordered.

The boy sighed deeply and stood up from the bed, he picked up his backpack and put his jacket on before leaving the room. He turned his head to look at her and then walked out of the room, slamming the door behind him.

+++

HA

I ONLY WANT TO SAY ONE THING...

btw

be prepared

because in the next chapter there's going to be angsty peter AND so much sadness and tears