Chapter 9: Red light

Start from the beginning

"Hi Mark."

He casually sat next to me and I stiffened, immediately checking the status of Clara and Larissa from the corner of my eye. They were reading. My eyes widened in surprise but I composed myself quickly. They were probably using all their other senses to keep an eye on me.

"What're you working on?" Mark's cologne was overpoweringly sweet. I actually stopped breathing for a few seconds.

"Just IT stuff." I kept my reply short and went back to checking my coursework.

"Cool. Well, I just wanted to let you know that there's a Sixth Form leaving party in two weeks time, on Friday 21st."

I held my bitterly confused laugh back, with extreme effort. He had to be joking.

"It's gonna be at my place in Hunterton Terrace. As my parents are patrons of the school, they were asked to host the leaving party."

"Why are you inviting me?" I blurted out. I'm sure I had bruises on the inside from kicking myself so much.

Mark smiled brilliantly and looked even more like a doll. "Everyone's invited, school requirement. Unfortunately, I'll forfeit credits if people don't turn up, so yeah, be sure to come."

"Parties aren't really my thing, everyone knows that."

"But look, it's the last one ever! You can even bring someone as a guest if you want. You're not half bad Holly, just give yourself a chance to have fun! The week after the party will be our final week here, so let's go out with a bang!"

I stared open-mouthed at Mark's mini speech. I'd never heard him talk for so long.

"Mark for Prime Minister!" I said before chuckling.

Mark laughed with me and I surprised myself by feeling something other than disdain for one of Tom's rich-boy friends.

"I haven't seen Joshua today so pass on the message. I know you guys don't talk, but you can just give him the pamphlet."

I nodded and Mark left the table in a cloud of pungently sweet cologne. Stuffing the classy looking pamphlet into my bag, I calmed myself down. Mark was just being 'nice', because he'd lose credits for each person that didn't attend the party. But I still watched him walk back over to his seat, and wondered what it would be like if he was my friend for real.

Afraid of being judged for trying to trap rich guys yet again, I kept my eyes on the computer screen, and got back to finishing my work. The school probably didn't want the hassle of planning and organising such an event, so dumped it on Mark and his parents by dressing it up like a great opportunity. Not surprising.

I had just finished printing when Miss Haythorne dismissed us from registration. I mentally prepared myself to deal with Larissa, no doubt she'd have a lot to say after seeing me talk to Mark. As I sat at the computer, my phone vibrated and I ignored it. It could only be Joshua, and he'd know I was in lesson so it was fine. I took out my coursework and waited for Mr. Ravi to arrive. This was my first step to getting into Canterbridge University. My phone vibrated again. I impatiently tapped my foot, hoping Mr. Ravi would hurry up so I could give him my work. My phone buzzed. I took it out irritatedly, wondering why Joshua couldn't just wait for minute.

"Good morning everyone!" Mr. Ravi sang. He always got on my nerves because he was so happy in the mornings.

I shoved my phone back into my pocket without checking the messages. If I got caught using my phone I could get into big trouble. I couldn't mess up the only subject I was doing well in.

"Right, so as you all know, today is the deadline for your coursework. So please put your coursework in a pile on my desk before you leave. Everyone clear? Good. Let's get on with the last unit..."

I tried to concentrate on what he was saying but my phone wouldn't stop buzzing. Joshua had to be calling me. Luckily, the noise of keyboard clicking covered the sound of my phone going off. I ended up shoving the phone in my bag in case Mr. Ravi caught me fiddling with it. There were only fifteen minutes left of the lesson, only fifteen minutes left until I unleashed my anger on Joshua. As soon as the bell rang for break, I shot out of my chair, threw my coursework on the desk and rushed outside. Twenty three missed calls. I called Joshua back and he picked up on the first ring.

"What is your problem?! You know I was in lesson but you still kept calling! I kept cutting you off so why did you carry on? Twenty three missed calls, bloody hell!"

Joshua was quiet. Usually, he'd always have a reply ready. My heart filled with dread.

"Joshua are you okay? Is everything okay?"

"Mum's in Eastbourne hospital, I just called the school and they know, so just sign out before you leave." His voice shook a little, but held strength. He was holding it together. For me. 

"Joshua, is Mum–"

"I've sent you the address, the 150 bus comes straight down here, call me if you get lost."

"Okay."

He hung up without saying goodbye.

I'm really sorry about the delay in publishing this chapter, but I've had a lot going on

I'm really sorry about the delay in publishing this chapter, but I've had a lot going on. I'm back now though, so hopefully I will stay on top of posting chapters! This chapter isn't my best so please feel free to critique, I will probably edit this as soon as I'm done with the next one.

No Kai in this chapter, but you will see him in the next one for sure! What do you think has happened to Holly's Mum?

As always, please leave a comment with your thoughts, suggestions and improvements - it helps me create better content! Don't forget to vote for this chapter if you enjoyed it :)

When a wound is clean, it heals on its own~ Nohmtema