7. Stitch by Stitch

Simone Smith

My eyes flickered open, as I tried to adjust to the bright lights surrounding me. I couldn't hear anything, but I could feel a intense pain literally rip through the lower half of my body. Just as the pain intensified, I tried my best to sit up and see what the cause was.

Looking around, I realized I was laying in a hospital bed. What the hell was going on? I left the wave of pain settle before I attempted to sit up.

"Just take it easy Simone. You don't want to pull on your stitches." My eyes widened, as they met Karen who was sitting by my bed; flipping through a magazine. She placed it onto the side table and walked over to me, playing around with some of the machines I was hooked up to. "How are you feeling?"

"H-horrible." I said, my throat felt extremely dry and my voice was hoarse for some reason. "What happened to me?"

"You passed out on your way to a patient yesterday. Lucky enough we got to you in time." The sound of Karen's voice was enough to let me know that something bad had happened. Karen was normally easy-going, she liked to joke around with me. Although, I didn't know what it was like to be a patient of hers, I did know how she acted when she had something on her mind. "I've been monitoring you, and thankfully everything seems to be returning back to normal." She sighed as her eyes scanned the monitor I was hooked up to.

"How long have I been out?"

"Yesterday afternoon."

"And what time is it now?"

"About 7:30 in the morning."

"You stayed here all night? Where's Ben?"

Karen looked at me for a moment before shaking her head. Now it was very clear that something was on her mind. "You can tell me Karen, what happened?" I asked her, rubbing my temple as it began to throb with pain. I watched her place her hand on her hip as she let out a long sigh before turning to look me in the eye. Now that my eyes were adjusted I could tell that she had been crying; her mascara streamed down her face and her eyes were bloodshot. "I don't know how to tell you this Simone."

"Just tell me, whatever it is I can handle it."

"Well..." she pulled up a seat and reached out for my hand, "you were pregnant Simone. However, due to the amount of turmoil your body has been through; it resulted in you having a miscarriage."

"I ...." I looked down at the bandages that covered my bottom half, they were stained with fresh blood. "I was pregnant?"

"Yes about 4 weeks along."

"Oh, my goodness" I covered my mouth and removed my eyes from my body now bringing them over to her. I watched her wipe the tear away from her eyes before waterworks of my own began to start up. "My poor baby."

"I'm so sorry Simone."

Before I could even speak I heard a knock on the door, followed by the door being opened slightly. Karen met the person at the door, exchanged a few works then opened it even wider for them to get in. Behind her walked two tall police officers. "Simone, this is Constable Reeves and Officer Barnett."

"Why are they here?" I croaked out, wiping away some of my tears.

"Ma'am your friend here has reported domestic violence on your behalf, it seems as if she is really worried about you." The constable said removing his hat. "We have your fiancé outside in the waiting room, Ben Peters is one of our very own and we still plan to handle this case as we would handle any domestic violence case. Understand your report is safe with us, we promise to protect you and take care of this from this point going forward."