Twenty-Five

Sorry for any mistakes in advance!

Dr. Simone Smith

"Don't just stand there!" I yelled at the nurses assisting me as I tried the defibrillator one more time. I knew that it was too late, but I wasn't one to give up. I groaned as I turned up the voltage on the paddles myself, trying one again. "Clear!" I yelled, and his body jolted up but the flatline stayed the same on his heart monitor.

"You have to call it..." the nurse whispered, taking the paddles from my hands.

"Time of death... 7:45 PM." I pulled off my gloves and threw them into the bin with attitude; as the nurses finished packing away the medical contents onto the crash cart, unhooking the lifeless body from the machines. I felt the tears well up in my eyes which was different for me. I was here to save lives, not lose them and since this was my second year on the job; this had been my first loss so far. I huffed out a sigh and blinked away the tears before turning around to sign off the papers. "I will go speak to the family." I assured the nurse, as she gave me a quick nod. I handed the clipboard over to her then grabbed his file taking a couple looking over it. I raised my brow and chewed on my lip; something wasn't adding up. I looked through the window of his room to see the family waiting for me and that was my cue. I made my way to the door of his room, trying my best to collect my thoughts before heading out to face the music.

I pulled open the door and was greeted by a worried look on the faces of his family, the lump that formed in my throat was thick, I swallowed it away and placed my hands behind my back. "Is he alright?" I was asked by the worried voice, I feared to look into her eyes.

"I did everything possible to revive him; however, it was far too late. I'm sorry but we did everything we could." I took a deep breath and looked up at the two women in front of me, "he is gone." I let out.

"No!" I watched as the petite phillipino lady cupped her mouth as she stared into the room behind me, her eyes quickly filled with tears and she groaned, stomping her feet.

"They said you were the best!" I heard his wife yell, "and you couldn't handle a simple little heart attack?!"

"Mrs. Evans, I do sincerely apologize. My team and I are not even sure of it being a heart attack at this point." I ran my sweaty palms against my scrubs. Her words sent a wave of confusion, how was she so sure that it was a heart attack? I chose not to question it. "Mr. Evan's death is suspicious, and I would advise you to file for an autopsy."

"Suspicious? An autopsy? No! The problem is; You should've done more!" she wiped away the one tear that snuck down her cheek and shook her head at me. "I hope you realize; that the man gave you a chance to live your dream just died on your watch. I don't want you to ever forget that. This is your fault!"

"Mrs., Evans, I can't explain how sorry I am. His progress report didn't show any signs that could've led to this!" I played with the file behind my back, feeling little in her presence. I watched her smirk as she ran her hand across the little bump in front of her. "Go work in emergency for the day, I want you off of this floor." She commanded as she stretched her hand around my body to grab his file.

"I need that!" I said, trying my best to reach for it; but did I mention how scary she was. With a sigh, I watched her wave me off. "Go down and work in the emergency, as of now you are on probation until further notice."

"Who is going to take care of my patients?!"

"Someone capable, and that obviously is not you." She hissed, then brushed past me as she made her way into the hospital room with the other lady following behind her. I ran my fingers through my hair as I let out a long sigh. Mrs. Evans was so scary to me and her words cut like knives, I tried my best not to blame myself but I should've done better.