Twenty-Six

Three Weeks Later

Dr. Simone Smith

After what felt like the longest shift of my life; I finally signed out and was making my way out of the hospital. I was growing sick of this place, ever since the passing of Dr. Evans; his wife was piling up these unnecessary hours on me. I was sure that she was out to get me, but because of who I was; I was not going to fold under pressure.

That was something my dad taught me; the fire must get hot before it makes gold. I kept his words with me everywhere I went and that's how I made it out alive. I couldn't imagine life without him or my mom. We came from the ground up and my parents made sacrifices for me. With their sacrifices; my success was the reason why I could now give back to them.

The elevator dinged; signalling I was at the ground floor and I stepped out into hallway without looking and sadly I bumped into the muscular chest of a tall figure, the impact pushed me back a little bit and I heard him groan in pain. "I'm so sorry." I said, rubbing the ache from my shoulder. The moment I looked up; I rolled my eyes realizing it was Alonzo's goofy ass.

"There you go, trying to kill me once again!"

"I wish I did." I mumbled before adjusting the strap of my purse back onto my shoulder. "Anyways, it was really nice meeting you!" I lied, Alonzo was one of the most annoying, persistent, patients I had ever met and I was glad he was leaving.

"You don't mean that." He shook his head and licked his lips as he looked at me. "I was a handful."

"Yes, you were." I was glad he had said it and not me.

"But that's why you got two hands. I know you're going to remember me." He winked and I rolled my eyes instantly. This boy was a whole mess. "Alonzo, go home!"

"I'm waiting for my ride beautiful... unless you wanna give me one."

"I think I will pass." I reached into my pocket for my car keys and kept his eyes boring a whole into the side of my face. After working with Alonzo for weeks this was something I was used to and it didn't bother me anymore. "You take care of yourself now." I patted his shoulder and I walked away from him. Before I made it through the doors I saw Karen winking at me, referring to my little conversation with Alonzo. I shook my head and waved goodbye to her until I got outside. I nearly skipped over to my car with the amount of happiness I was feeling, being freed from a shift never felt so good.

I hopped into the drivers seat of my Audi and threw my bag into the back. As I started it up; I blasted my radio that was playing Call Me Crazy by Sevyn Streeter. This was my jam! I wasn't a crazy girlfriend to anyone, but this song was just one of my favorites.

I sent my mom a text to let her know I was on my way then I reversed out of my parking lot and sped out to the front to get my parking slip punched by the security. From where I was I could see Alonzo waiting in the front of the hospital; with a cigarette, in between his lips. That boy was truly something else.

I pulled over to the curb after getting my slip punched and rolled down my passenger side window. "I swear I told you to stay away from those until you were fully recovered!" I said through my opened window as I turned down my music. "You don't listen, do you?"

"That depends, do you need a lil baby who gone listen?" Alonzo laughed through the cloud of smoke and mimicked the Tunnel Vision dance, making his way over to my car. "Changed your mind about that ride?"

"How far are you going?"

"Twenty minutes out. I gotta stop by a friend in the Grove Mills area." I gulped the lump in my throat, I was familiar with hearing about that place on the news. I zoned out for a minute, deciding whether I really wanted to risk my life tonight. I wasn't snobby, stuck up or nothing. I, myself was born and raised in a low-class area as well but I was still a small lady at the end of the day and I knew I could easily get my ass beat. "I can protect you. Don't worry." Alonzo said, breaking me away from my thoughts. I looked at him and examined his stature, I was sure he could protect me.