Twenty-Seven

Alonzo Flemington

The street was filled with cars that sat outside of my old building. I knew they were doing a little get together for me, but I didn't expect this big of a turn out. I unbuckled my seat belt and looked over at Simone who seemed to be surprised at the amount of people as well. "You wanna come in?" I asked.

"Uh, I don't think so."

"Why not? It's not going to hurt you."

"I know it's not. I just had a really long shift, I should be sleeping right now."

"You can sleep later, all I am asking is for you to come for a few minutes."

"I'm not dressed for a party."

"Simone." I licked my lips as I examined her in her black distressed jeans, thrasher tee and a pair of all black yeezy's; I didn't realize it before but she had style on her. "You look amazing, stop making excuses."

"I wasn't even invited." She scoffed, looking over at me.

"Well I am inviting you now." I hit the button to unbuckle her seat belt and I watched her roll her eyes at me. Giving in; she shut off her car and grabbed her purse for the back seat. "Just for a few minutes!" she said; holding up a finger to show how serious she was.

I guided her across the street and we made our way around the back of the building where the music was coming from. A smile grew on my face the moment I saw the number of old friends and family members; I saw my uncle flipping some burgers on the BBQ, Chris was the one DJing, a few of the people were talking, playing cards, kids were running around, some were dancing, it just brought back so much memories of the old times in this neighborhood. "WELCOME HOME!" They yelled in unison, once they saw me.

"Thank you, thank you." I rubbed my chest, honored that this was all for me.

"Don't just stand there. Let's get turnt up nigga!" Eazy yelled from where he had a table set up with a bunch of bottles and red cups. Chris cranked back up the music and I took a hold of Simone's hand, introducing her to some of my family as I made my way around the crowd. I introduced her to a couple of my boys, my uncles and a few of my aunts.

"You really upgraded Alonzo. I like this girl." My aunt Judith said, eyeing Simone from head to toe. I watched Simone's face turn red as she looked up at me with her eyes-widened. "This one is a keeper."

"You think so?" I bit my lip and squeezed onto her shoulder. "I hope she is."

"Oh, I know it." My aunt was so certain. After questioning Simone about her career and background a little bit more she finally released her and we continued making our way through the crowd. "Why did you do that?!" Simone asked me once we were alone.

"Do what?"

"Act like we were together, your poor family is under the impression that I am your soulmate or something."

"Because it's funny playing with their heads. You know that you and I aren't a thing, so just play along." I saw the disapproving look grow on her face and before she could say another word Eazy came up to us. "Happy to have you back man." E said; dapping me up.

"I'm happy to be back man." As he handed me two rolled blunts, I turned to Simone who had her eyes on the crowd. "Thanks man," I mouthed silently. I knew she would've had a fit if she saw. "Eazy this is Simone. Simone this is my right-hand nigga Eazy." I said; stuffing the blunts into my pocket.

"It's nice to meet you," she said while shaking his hand. Eazy gave her a nod before he pulled the cup up to his lips. "Same to you shorty. Enjoy the party and let me know if Alonzo gives you any trouble."