Chapter 17: Military

Start from the beginning

"Of course not. I don't wanna hurt you any more than you've already been hurt." I tease.

"You're just afraid to lose."

"Not true." 

Layke walks up to me slowly. The pillow that was in his hands drops to the floor. His hands make their way to mine, and his fingers lace through mine perfectly. "We're alone again." He whispers. "Can I maybe get that kiss now?" His eyes flick down to my lips and then back up to my eyes. 

My heart races, and I can't help but stutter. "The— others are waiting for us."

"Don't worry. We can be quick." He starts to move his body closer to me but I walk backward. I take about three steps before my back touches the island counter that separates the living room and kitchen. 

"I told you last night Layke. It's complicated." 

"I know," He licks his lips. "We don't have to tell anyone. I promise. And if you like it, maybe we can go to the bedroom." He lets go of my hands and grabs onto my waist. My feet leave the floor and Layke's thick arms push me up onto the countertop. My thighs part as he wedges himself between them. 

My stomach burns with passion. He has no idea how much I want to give in right now. But, I can't. If Cameron ever found out he would never talk to me again. Although, I really like Layke and maybe someday we can be a thing. But, not right now. We have to find somewhere safe first.

Layke's hand slithers up my back and onto my neck. He grips it firmly, cocking my head upward towards his lips. 

"I— I can't," I whisper. 

"I know you want to." Layke moans into my ear. He pulls his head back to look at my lips. He licks his lips again, and his teeth grab his lower lip. 

I gulp. My legs begin to shake and I can feel my heartbeat in my stomach. If I don't put a stop to this now I'm going to give in. 

I push him back. "I'm sorry Layke but I can't." 

He grabs onto my outstretched arm and squeezes it. "Please, Summer?"

"Are you really begging me?" 

"No, I'm not begging you," He says, flustered. "I'm sorry. I don't know what's gotten into me." He backs away from me, bumping into the kitchen table. A plate slides off another and crashes onto the floor. It shatters, leaving bits and pieces of it everywhere. 

"Look what you've done." I tease. 

Before Layke can respond, an infected appears from the hallways and latches onto Layke's back. He screams and thrashes around trying to get it off of him. Layke's shirt is stretched by the infected's blackening fingers. It opens its dry lips and green goo slides down onto Layke's shirt. In an attempt to get the infected off of him, Layke rushes backward and pins the infected on the wall. 

"Kill it!" Layke yells. The infected's mouth opens wide. It hovers right above Layke's shoulder blade. 

Frantically, I take the pocket knife out of my jeans. After clicking it open, I send it into its skull through the temple. I hear the pop of its soft skull. Black blood escapes the wound when I pull the knife out of its head. When Layke jumps away from it, it slides down the wall it leaves a trail of black blood behind its head. It flops onto the floor with limp limbs.