Chapter 12

Dominic's POV

"I don't have a mate" I say flatly. That statement was far from the truth. The only one who knew about this was Daniel and he's not the type to run around telling secrets. I stare at him, my eyes boring into his, searching for some kind of answer.

"Don't lie to me boy. I know everything." He states. He settles down on the sofa. He smiles lightly and chuckles. "So.. Where is this beauty?" He stretches his neck, trying to peak at what's behind me. He smirks and my face falls. She couldn't have gone out.

I scoot a little to the side to block his view. "I don't have a mate." I repeat. "Even if I did, what makes you think I have her?"

"Your behaviour says it all. From the nervousness to the way you restrict me from looking around my used to be home." He smiles. A kind of twisted smile. "You have a mate and you're in love boy."

I couldn't help but scowl at my father. He must be planning something for him to be in such a good mood. And if it's to harm Amethyst he will be sorry.

"So which demon girl has finally managed to capture the reckless prince? Brunette? Skinny? Green eyes? Killer-"

"She's not here" I mentally smile to myself knowing he doesn't know what exactly she is. Human.

****

I don't know exactly why I protect her. I guess this attraction makes us do things involuntarily. She doesn't actually seem to be much trouble. She looks simple enough, not caring how she looks or what she wears. Even when she was back at Rosalville, she was conserved, didn't really talk much, always stayed home on weekends and goes to the pond to spend time with her sister. She's so normal, small... Naive.

She trusted everyone with anything especially Dave. That áss. He really had the audacity to even think of harming her in that way. To soil her innocence and pure heart. I knew coming there that day would pay off. I knew he would come after me considering what I did to his mother the night before. Call me ruthless but he deserved it. Every bit of the pain that coursed through his bones burning him from the inside out. But I wasn't expecting her to come after him. She had no knowledge what so ever of what he had planned to do with her. Even after the incident she still mourned his death. To say I was furious was an understatement. She couldn't cry for a deadbeat like him.

My father had taken his leave an hour ago and I retreated into the throne room. Thinking for two long hours I finally made a decision to address everyone in the palace about Amethyst. When everyone was in the throne room, I whispered over to Sarah to keep Amethyst company in my room. I raise my hands to calm the hush whispers of the crowd and everyone falls silent. I clear my throat and exhale.

"As all of you know, we have a Human in the palace." I pause, the hushed tones picking up once more. I continue. "We are not on good terms with their species but in this case she is of outmost importance to the royal family." The whispers increase and I see a few hands raised in order to question me. I groan inwardly hating the fact of being questioned. I nod and he proceeds.

"Sire." He bows. "What do you wish we do in order to keep her sane? Any human would be terrified to live amongst us."

"Treat her like a royal. Yes, she is that important."

"But sire. Why do you tell us to not let any visitor in the palace?" Another asks.

"The human is a female, a scared one at that. She doesn't need anymore foreign faces around."

"If she is so important to the royals, why do you not let your father in?" I glare at the man, who later bows his head. "Sire." He mumbles.

"She is important to the royals in this palace. On no account should anyone spread the word that she lives here or that she exists. Anyone caught will face me directly."