Chapter 6

|Chapter 6|

I click open the door to the house and walk in, shutting it behind me. I put my back pack on its hook, and throw my soccer duffel on the bench in front of me before stalking into the living room.

Spencer is sitting on the couch playing Call of Duty, screaming at the TV each time he dies. I lie down on the ground in front of the couch, sprawling my limbs out starfish style.

Spencer continues to play his game, his eyes never leaving the screen.

I dramatically sigh.

Spencer plays his game.

"Uggghhhhh...." I sigh again.

Spencer groans.

"What's got you so bummed?" Spencer asks, pausing the game.

"Ugh. Nothing," I sigh, turning onto my back to face him. "I just have a ton of work to do."

Spencer gives me a sympathetic smile, but it lasts for about two seconds before he shoves me out of the way and un-pauses the TV, "Been there, down that. Now enough of your pity party, go walk Pepper. She's been waiting to see you for ages."

"It's been less than 8 hours since the last time I walked her," I sit up, stretching like a cat.

"Yeah well, she's a dog and dogs like longs walks. So go and walk the damn dog!" Spencer orders, shooting his friend from college in the face, "Ha! Take that Rick, you son of a bitch!"

"Language!" Mom yells from upstairs.

Spencer rolls his eyes before shouting back, "Sorry!"

"Why the hell do I have to walk Pepper anyway?" I whine, "You have two legs that work just fine! Why can't you do it?"

"Because I'm too lazy to give a shit," SPencer retorts.

"Almost as lazy as you are when it comes to getting dates," I mutter, but loud enough for him to hear.

"Geez. Have you finally started PMSing or something?" Spencer growls at me, pausing the game and glaring at me.

"I'm gonna pretend you didn't just say that," I purse my lips at him, and Spencer smirks. "I just wanted to complain to someone, even if they didn't care."

"I can relate to the not caring part," Spencer smirks at my scowl, "And you can seriously just do you homework later. Stop flipping out."

"Fine."

I get up and turn to Spencer, fully blocking to TV in the process. "Bye," I say, while Spencer maneuvers his head around me waist to see who's killing him. Probably Rick. I need to thank him for that the next time he crashs at our place because his girlfriend kicked him out for the umpteenth time.

I go over to the foyer and call for Pepper. She comes barreling in and plops down right in front of me, her tail wagging happily. I put her collar around her neck, and I can barely grab my jacket before she drags me over to the door.

"Easy Pep," I tell her as I open the door. She sprints out to the yard and begins sniffing. I take this chance I grab my board. "I'm taking Pepper on her walk!" I shout to my family.

"Don't care!" Spencer replies. From my position I can see his eyes glued to the TV screen.

"Spencer Johnson! Apologize to your sister!" My mom screeches at him.

"Mom," Spencer groans, dragging a hand down his face, "I'm an adult now, I don't need to be scolded by my mother."

"Now Spencer," She exclaims, and I can hear that tone of finality in her voice.