Chapter 2

|Chapter 2|

After school ends, I quickly go to my locker and grab everything, including my skateboard, and power walk to the girls locker room. I put my stuff down and change, quickly slipping on my shin guards and socks, then shoving my feet in my cleats. I put my hair up in a high ponytail and jog out into the soccer field.

The majority of the team is still in the locker room, along with the Coach, so I just take a soccer ball and begin to juggle. I reach 70 taps when I hear feet pattering behind me, and I slowly turn around, making sure to carefully continue juggling the soccer ball.

"Hey Johnson!" I hear the team chorus.

I give a slight wave before continuing to juggle the soccer ball.

97, 98, 99-

"Hey!" I shout looking up to see Coach has taken my ball and is now looking at me expectantly. I quit my protests, and listen.

Coach goes on about how this is our year, and how we have to continue trying, and how this is our time. I tune him out until he announces the amount of laps we have to do.

This is gonna be a long practice.

I board home after soccer practice is over and quickly open the door. My dog, Pepper, runs up and attempts to kill me in cold blood. Her mighty and ferocious weapon, licking my face off.

I grab the leash, attaching it to her collar as I pick up my black skateboard, gesturing to Pepper to come along. She obediently follows, her tail wagging happily.

We get outside and I ride along with Pepper, her pace constant. I still can't believe that happened with Liam. I didn't even know that that was possible.

Five classes. God, this is so annoying.

I keep riding calmly until Pepper begins to bark. And man, can she really bark.

"Bark! Bark bark bark! Bark!" She shouts. Pepper turns around and around, sniffing until she finally locates a shadowy figure. Pepper stares at it before walking, and then running, up to it. All the while she is saying, "Bark! Bark! Bark bark!"

"Woah! Pepper slow down," I yell after her. I'm still on my skateboard, feet planted on there, holding onto the leash for dear life. I get dragged along, almost losing my footing but staying firmly in place.

"Pepper stop! Pepper!" She continues to pull me along until I lose control and fall off, tumbling on the ground. I brace myself for impact but it never comes. I look up and see the shadowy figure.

"Liam?"

My elastic hair tie has come out, allowing my hair to dance around my features, some of it brushing into my eyes.

Liam has one hand locked in an iron grip on my arm, while the other is resting lightly on my hip. My arms are on each of his biceps, gripping so I don't fall. This makes me feel really uncomfortable.

I look up at him and study his stunned gaze. There is a subtle warmth that spreads through me from within at the points where we touch.

"Fancy meeting you here," He whispers, ever so slightly.

"Yeah," I stiffen, my face flushing with embarrassment.

Liam sees my face and smirks, "It's okay. As long as your fine," Liam sends a wink my way and I can't help but think how unbelievably cheesy that was. I really want to laugh out loud at how stupid that was.

And that's just what I did.

"Why are you laughing?" Liam asks desperately. I continue to laugh, clutches my sides for dear life.