Chapter 23

|Chapter 23|

The doorbell rings.

I jump up from the couch and peak my head out of the window. Liam stands on the steps to my house, his hands folded in his pocket, looking quite tense. He has his legs shoulder width apart, and he seems nervous as hell.

It's so adorable.

When I pull open the door Liam's grin is legendary, and I look down giddily while shutting the door.

I couldn't stop smiling. I take Liam's hand and interlace our fingers. We walk out to the car, and I go to open the door when Liam takes the initiative.

"Allow me, m'lady," Liam says, grabbing the door and letting me in.

I sit down, rolling my eyes, "Why thank you, kind sir. How chivalrous of you."

I feel a laugh bubble up, and I look back up at Liam. His eyes crinkle around the corners while his laughs loudly. I make sure to take in his face, wanting to savor this moment. Liam shuts the door and jogs over to the other side. He comes in, seeing that I was already fiddling with the radio, even though it's not on.

"Weirdo," He mutters, and I stick my tongue out at him.

"You're just jealous because I'm so cool," I respond haughtily.

Liam learns over and pecks me on the cheek, making my face go red.

"Sure," He let's out a loud laugh, "That's it."

I look out the window, a stupid smile covering my face. Trees fly by, and eventually so does our town. I turn to Liam in shock.

He glances over at me, a mischievous smirk gracing his features, "Did I forget to tell you we're going to a restaurant out of town?"

"Yes."

There's a pause.

"Hey. Guess what."

"Hay is for horses."

He gives me a brief irritated glance, and I smile lightly.

"Fine. What?" I play along.

"We're going to a restaurant out of town."

I scoff, "No, really. I totally wasn't aware."

Liam purses his lips, giving me a look, "Well, I just thought I should let you know."

"Gee, thanks. How sweet," I say sarcastically, chuckling a bit at the end.

I start to see more places go by, along with my training field where I used to commute for my conditioning every winter. It's a run down stadium that can't hold more than 5,000 people, but I loved it dearly. I feel a pang of sadness hit me once I realize that this is my last season with my boys, my last year with Harper, my last year with them all.

I take a deep breath and think about where I am, who I'm with. I'm with Liam, the great guy who always walks home with you, the one who helped you with your calculus homework, the one who got your bracelet

"Hey Liam?"

"Yeah, Ashlynn."

"When you came over to my house to give me my bracelet, how did you know which window was mine?" I turn and face him, and he bites his lip nervously.

Taking in a shaky breath, Liam turns left, "Let's just say that I had a not-too-fun encounter with your father."

"You met my dad?" I shout, holding back a laugh as he visibly pales.