Chapter 18- No Miracles

(Jade's P.O.V )

When I woke I tried to recognise my surroundings. I was certain I'd never been here before. The walls were different. The carpet was different. The little bits of furniture were different.  The only thing I was acquainted with was the arms wrapped around me.

I carefully turned myself around in Perrie's arms, trying my best not to wake her. I examined her. I noticed she had cuts and bruises all over her face and arms. And that was just the skin that was exposed.  What the hell had happened to her?

Then I caught sight of an odd looking machine beside the bed that Perrie and I happened to be on. I did recognise that machine. I knew where we were now. We were in a hospital.  That's when I remembered what had happened.

Sam.

I leapt from the bed and tore out of the door of the hospital room. How had I even got here? I tried to best of my ability to remember but I just couldn't. I ran down the narrow hallway and reached what looked like reception. It was bustling with people. And they were all staring at me.

The seemingly crazy celebrity screaming her ex boyfriend's name at the top of her voice. 

"Jade!" I felt someone spin me around. "What are you doing? " Perrie asked me concerned.

" Where's Sam!?" I asked desperately. 

"Calm down baby" she said, rubbing my back.

I broke away from her, "Where is he!?" I demanded. 

Perrie grabbed my wrist and dragged me back to the hospital room. I frantically tried to free myself from her tight grip but it was hopeless.  She was much stronger than me. Why had she hold of me anyway? Why wouldn't she just tell me where Sam was.

"Perrie! " I retailated as she sat me down on the bed next to her.

"Relax Jade" she said calmly. 

" No! Where's Sam!? And why don't I remember how I got here?" I could feel my voice cracking against my will as I spoke.  I wanted to sound stern so she would tell me but my voice seemed to give up as tears began trickling down my face.
I just wanted to know how Sam was.

After all it was all my fault.  Sam had jumped in front of me to stop me from getting shot. He had possibly saved my life, but possibly could have cost himself his own in doing so. I didn't know. That's why I demanded an answer from Perrie. 

" Jade" she looked at me seriously and took my hands in hers. " Sam is in a bad condition.  He got shot in the chest. For the moment he's stable. We aren't allowed see him unless he wakes up. But they still don't know if he's going to make it"

Her words hit me like a ton of bricks.  I felt as if the walls were closing on me and the ground was swallowing me. I burst into tears and cried. I cried for what seemed like an eternity.  Perrie pulled me into her chest and muttered things trying to calm me but it was hopeless.  I was in a desperate state. Sam, someone I was eternally grateful to and cared dearly for, could die because of me.

" This is all my fault!" I wailed.

" It's not baby! He was doing his job" Perrie attempted to make me feel better. At that stage the possibility of me not wanting to bang my head against a wall for what I'd done to Sam was about as likely as Perrie rising at 6am on a day-off.

" No, Perrie, you don't understand! This is my fault!  He wouldn't have been put in danger in the very first place if it wasn't for us coming out in the first place! " I retorted.

" So you're saying you want us to have kept this a secret!? You're saying you wanted us to succumb to the idiotic homophobes and not be who we really are and have to hide our love?!" she rebuked,  furrowing her brows and letting go of my hands.