Chapter 27

you never know how long your words will stay in someone's mind even long after you've forgotten you spoke them•

I remembered driving back to Elliana's house with a smile. She had somehow eased me out of my fear of talking with my father. I was close to him but after mom's death, everything just drifted apart and his promises seemed never ending and unfulfilled. So I didn't want to have anything to do with him.

But she talked, maybe gave a speech, about how I was selfishly holding onto my grudge against him and I was ready to talk to him. I had to go back to her house again because I had forgotten my jacket, which I realised after noticing that my heater had stopped working and I was freezing.

The truth was, I only needed to have an excuse to see her again.

What I did not expect when I pulled into her house was her, lying down in the middle of the road with a pool of blood all around her. I was paralysed in shock and fear.

The only thing I could think of was my mother lying in her hospital bed, pale and unmoving.

No.

I couldn't let that happen again. I jumped out of my car and in an instant, I was kneeling beside her with her head on my lap.

"Hey. Hey stay with me." I rushed my words out, shaking her slightly. Her eyes were already rolled back and I knew she would fall into something dark and lonely soon.

"Fuck." I cursed and carried her bridal style and towards my car.

"Ellie." A voice called out and I turned to see it was her father because of their slight resemblance. He looked like a mess.

"We need to take her to the hospital." I blankly said; determined to not fall weak. Inside, fear gripped onto my whole body. I wanted to break down but I couldn't. I needed to stay strong.

He nodded aimlessly. I could see the fear in his eyes as well. It felt too familiar and because of that, I couldn't stay mad at him and tell him how shitty of a father he'd been to a really strong and independent girl like her.

I laid her down in the back seat of the car and quickly pecked her forehead.

"Please wake up."

***

Waiting for the past minutes felt like hours. The doctors were not saying anything and I was pacing back and forth, trying my best to calm down. But fear was a cruel thing. It gripped ever fibre of my being, refusing to let go.

This felt too familiar. How I waited for hours outside the operation room when they informed me my mother had gotten worse.

I hated hospitals for a reason and ironically I was at one right now. Experiencing the same thing I experienced.

"Fuck!" I cursed and punched a nearby wall, keeping my anxiety at bay.

I looked over at Elliana's father. He reeked of alcohol but he seemed to be in shock right now. I sighed and sat down next to him.

"Are you okay, sir?" I asked, trying to comfort him in any way. I doubted that because I was in a mess myself.

"It was my fault." He finally said after moments of silence. I thought he wouldn't speak.

"What do you mean?" I asked, confused.

"I blamed her of my wife's death."