Chapter 23

•sometimes you can't let go of what's making you sad because it was the only thing that made you happy•

"Oh come on! This isn't fair!" Brett yelled, frustrated.

"She won fair and square, bro." Zach laughed, patting his shoulder.

"Do you have some kind of secret up your sleeve?" Brett asked, eyeing me  suspiciously.

"Oh hush loser. You just suck at COD. Admit your defeat and bow down before the queen." I dramatically said.

"Heck no." He growled, then walked out of the room, probably to get drinks. Zach and I laughed at him.

We were currently at my place. Brett and Zach had come over first while the rest of them informed will take some time. It had been a week since my 'pretend-date' with Gabriel and also since Maddison decided to enroll in the same high school as us. She was like the new member in our circle of friends and was quite popular in school as well because of her really sweet personality. I still had my doubts regarding that and Jenna and Gemma thought the same as well. It hurt a little seeing Zach and Maddison together but I always pushed the feelings away and faked a smile. My friends were worried about me but I assured them I would be fine so they don't press that much at the topic anymore.

"You never told me you went on a date with Gabriel." Zach's voice pulled me out of my thoughts.

I snapped my head towards him and saw him looking at the booth pictures. I quickly snatched it away from him and faked a smile again. "It was not a real date. He helped me tick off my bucket list wish." I explained and sat down on the floor.

There was silence for a while and I refused to look him in the eye, afraid that I would get lost in it like I always did.

"Do you like him?" He asked next, and I could not stop myself from looking at him this time.

Zach's jaw was clenched slightly and his eyes looked a little angry. Gabriel did tell something had happened between them. I wonder if it was really that bad to make Zach act this way.

"Yes I like him." I shrugged.

"I mean as more than friends." He corrected but my answer got stuck in my throat. Why couldn't I say no? I opened my mouth again but no voice came out. What the actual fudge?

"I don't want to fight with you anymore Ellie but I told you before. Gabriel is not a nice guy at all. You'll only get hurt in the end."

I clenched my jaw at this. Again with this topic? "And what makes you say that exactly?" I asked, trying to be as calm as possible. Gabriel has been anything but nice to me. I don't really know what went down between them but that doesn't change the fact that he has done any rude or mean things with me.

Zach hesitated before saying, "Because he was my closest friend and he betrayed me and someone close to us just because he felt like it. So I know it. He's not really what you think he is." Zach spat his words out. He was really angry.

So Zach and Gabriel were close friends, huh? Who was the third person then?

"Hey."

We turned our heads towards the door and there stood Maddison in all her beauty. She donned a black cropped sweater and grey pants. Her blonde hair was bound in a perfect ponytail if that even existed. Then I looked at myself. I was wearing a baggy red t-shirt that said 'All I do is eat', baggy sweat pants and my hair was carelessly fixed in a messy bun. I looked like a homeless person infront of her. Of course Zach would fall for someone like her over me.

I watched sadly as Zach's eyes lit up at the sight of her and he smiled. "Hey. Come on in."

Maddison smiled and entered, sitting on the bed next to Zach. I suddenly felt out of place so I stood up abruptly. "Man, why is Brett taking so long? I'll go check up on him." I excused myself and walked out of the room. I felt as if I should give them privacy and that was what I did.