Chapter Thirty-Nine

Start from the beginning

'If we keep away from the worst affected areas, we should be good to nap.' Fox promised and rose softly. 'Follow me. We'll give 'em a wide birth.'

Fox scuttled off through the slurry and puddles of stinking water, causing bugs to buzz angrily at the disturbance. He didn't seem the least bit worried about his surroundings or if he fell, unlike Esme who took very cautious and carefully placed steps.

It took them longer than she hoped to reach Farmire, the unlucky town filled with disease. As they plucked their way through reeds, cottongrass and ferns, the sun sunk further and further, casting the sky deep red with the cries of moorehens, turns and grebes growing quieter. Soon the marsh began to pull up and away from the mildew ponds and ruts and lights of the town began to peep through the trees' boughs. Soon they looked down the town of Farmire. It was bigger than she thought it would be and built in a mix of wood and brick. The buildings weren't particularly tall, three floors at most, and a thick road swerved through it. The flashing blue lights that flickered throughout the town and the deathly silence were ominous. It was so quiet.

'We go in.' Fox said before she could ask what to do. 'Police are at all vehicacle entrances but they won't be lookin' to see if someone will just waltz in from the marsh.'

Esme shifted her weight. That seemed risky. 'Then what?'

'We stay at a small hovel of a hotel or whatever they'll have here. We sleep, we move on. End.' Fox glanced behind him as the croaking of toads and something grumbled in the distance; something big. 'Don't want to be out here in the night.'

Esme hurriedly agreed and stuck close to him as he made his way down the hill towards Farmire. There was a small wall, old a chipped and a clear half-hearted attempt to keep animals out, marking Farmire's edge. It was easy to slip over and, just like that, they were in the Famire. Before them was a narrow alley filled with old bins and chucked out furniture that hugged the mossy buildings. Windows were open, trying to let out some of the heat, and what little wind had sucked out the curtains. Some lights were off, meaning the alleyway was growing very dark, but Esme didn't like the silence. All she could hear was the marsh, a lone dog and screaming Fox's.

Fox was quick in moving and urged Esme to keep close. He was eager to find a place to stay and kept glancing at the sky then back at Esme. Esme knew he was worried about her curse. She didn't want to turn into a fox right in front of strangers and cause alarm and rumours. So far, neither Sodden or the White Wizards appear to know she was here. But the worry of the curse activating in the middle of a crowd grew readily pointless as they moved out of the alley and into a wide road well-lit by old buzzing streetlights. No one was out, not even a drunkard or a beggar. The road was utterly empty and most of the houses here were dark and silent.

'This gives me the creeps.' Fox murmured.

Esme readily agreed. Even sleepy Clockton was more active than Farmire this late at night and gave the impression of life.

They moved on in search of a place to stay, keeping their eyes peeled for a stray Wizard or policeman. None turned up. By the time they reached a road where several shops stood, the place felt so dead that neither Esme nor Fox were expecting any kind of movement. Not until a door opened gently and voices could be heard.

Waving off an middle-aged man who scuttled off was a youthful woman with vibrant golden hair and very pretty round face. She was about to close the door when she noticed Esme and Fox staring at her in confusion, surprised to see any life at all.

'Ho there, friends.' She said, opening the door wider again and smiled.

Esme noted her accent was completely different than to what she was used to; rougher and angrier. Logan instantly came to mind. She was definitely in the Hornfels.