Chapter 20 - The Only Way of Keeping

Rafael Miller as Ashton Sullivan

~•~

Just as we are about to move a hand coil around my wrist. "No she won't." His familiar voice cold and firm. As we both look up, we met Ashton's menacing blue eyes. I shifted on my left foot as a sudden feeling of warmness crept on my cheeks. What is he doing?

Brett scoffed. "Fuck off," Brett said as he drew me to his side, glaring at Ashton. Ashton took a step forward, so they were standing chest to chest. With the look on his face, he was daring Brett to back down. Despite being only an inch or two taller than Brett, he conveys control and dominance. The other, on the other hand, refuses to show any fear, as his face is impassive and his posture is collected.

"What's your problem?" Ashton snapped.

Brett scowled. "I'm not the one who has problems here," Brett said sharply, as Ashton's jaw tightened and his hand balled into a fist. I gasped as Ashton grabbed Brett's collar, crinkling his shirt, and his features morphed from frustration to annoyance. Brett swatted Ashton's hand away, but Ashton quickly yanked Brett's shirt back, this time aggressively. My eyes widen and my face flushed with fear. What is wrong with these boys?! They looked like wolves who want nothing but to rip off each other's head.

I had too much dose of fight for this day and I don't think I could take another more.

"Guys," I shakily touched their rigid shoulders and try to separate them. "We're attracting too much attention." I motion to the people casting curious glances and excited looks on our way as a small crowd forming around us. "And please calm down the both of you. We don't want to shed blood here, do we?"

Ashton looked down at me; his face softened and freed Brett from his hold. "I was waiting for you."

I blinked. "Why?"

"About what happened earlier. I didn't mean to make you uncomfortable around me." He said and reached for my hand.

"Oh please. You don't have to act as mushy lovey birds in front of me. We all know it was just a show." Brett groaned.

"How did you know it was all a show?" I asked. The thought of Brett knowing everything scares me.

"Because it's unbelievable." Brett said, his voice firm and full of conviction as a knowing look plays on his face. "And we both know what I mean, Ash. Stop using her."

My brows furrowed in confusion. I feel out of place in their conversation, as if Brett is putting up a wall between me and them. Ashton's hand dropped completely.

"That's what I thought." Brett smiled.

~•~

"Did you two fight again?" Easton who was watching us from afar asked as we stopped in front of him. He was leaning against his oozing sophisticated Ferrari FF, his hand tucked into his pocket. He's wearing a v-neck shirt that hugs his upper perfectly and faded jeans. His blond hair disheveled.

Brett rolled his eyes. "You know your brother."

I choked on my saliva. "B-brother?" I enquired.

Easton gave me a half-smile and ruffled my hair. "Yes, Anna," he said, teasingly poking my nose. "And don't get involved in another boy's fight; you might get hurt."

"Wait a minute, why-how-?"

I struggle of coming up with the right words to ask. Brothers?! How could this have happened? They don't look similar with each other, and I can't see any resemblance. Ashton has raven hair, deep ocean eyes, and strong features, whereas Easton has blond hair, earthy-colored eyes, and sweet features.