Chapter 9 - Unexpected

When I arrived at school, I ran straight for the guy with jet black hair and ocean blue eyes. Days melt away so fast and Monday finally rolls in. Two days had passed, but his words kept repeating in my mind, leaving me in the abyss of my thoughts.

"By the way, Ashton is the name." I could practically sense the smirk on his face.

"Ashton?"

"Why sounds so surprised?" He asked. I heard the ruffling of sheets at the end of the line.

"Why-How--"

"Why do I have your phone and how did it happen?" he chuckled lowly, his voice bitter. "You left it in my car the night before."

Memories of last night flashed in front of me. It was the first time I saw him so distressed. The first time I saw pain in his eyes. It was then I realized that Ashton is not far from me. Even though he doesn't admit it, people's judgment bothered him.

"Did you... Did you open it? My phone I mean?" I asked cautiously. Please tell me you didn't. Say you didn't dare --

"So what if I did?"

~~

"Ann?" a familiar voice called from behind. When I turned around, I was greeted by a grin from Phillip.

"Oh hello!" I exclaimed. I brushed past him, still looking for the jet black-haired guy who stole my phone—well, not really stole it, but you get the idea. He has my phone, for Pete's sake! And he refused to turn it back.

Phillip followed my gaze and then looked back at me. His brows knitted together.

"Looking for something?"

"Actually someone. I'd been looking for him since I get here." I admitted.

"Him? Who? Maybe I can help." He offered, flashing me a smile.

"No!" I exclaimed. "I mean no," I said, faking a laugh. I wouldn't dare to ask about Ashton's whereabouts. Knowing that they don't seem to get along? Ha, n No, thank you. Phillip gave me an odd look. His smile had faded and been replaced by fervor.

"Why not?" He probed.

"Because you don't know him."

His light brown eyes were fixed on mine, searching my face as if I were a puzzle he was trying to solve. His frown deepened, and after a brief silence, he spoke..

"Am I wasting your time Ann? Are you looking for a reason to get away from me?"

My eyes widen. Why would he think that? Do I really appear to be in such a hurry to get away from him? Phillip was the nicest person I'd ever met. He was so kind to offer a smile to me when we first met. I would never get on the wrong side of someone who has been kind to me. I felt a pang of guilt when I saw his face fall and look dejected.

"Phillip that's not what I meant." I said softly trying to cover up the hole I put myself in.

"I thought you don't like my company." He smiled. "Anyway, I better get going."

He turned around and began walking back to the building. I bit my lower lip and ran my fingers through my hair. I took another look around, and when I couldn't find any trace of the person I was looking for...

"Phillip, wait!"

~•~

"Who are you looking for, by the way?" Phillip asked again the moment I matched his pace.

"Forget about it. He's not that important." I dismissed. Phillip cast a doubtful glance at me. He gave me a look that says he doesn't believe me. He opened his mouth to say something but then shut it again. I know he knows the underlying meaning in my tone, but he chooses to ignore it. He smiled at me and wrapped his arm around my shoulder, drawing me closer to him.