Chapter 17 - Officially

I shoved him away.

But his reflexes are lightning fast, and his grip on my waist tightens, causing my toes to curl in sparks. I arched away from him, but the more I resisted, the tighter his grip on me became. So I did the most logical thing I should have done earlier.

I slap him.

His eyes widened and his lips parted in astonishment. Regret coursed through my veins as he smoothed his cheek where my red hand had left an imprint.

Someone suddenly grabbed my shoulder and pushed me around. Victoria's face was swathe with rage. Her nostrils flared and her pale blue eyes blazed with anger and hatred, as if I had stolen the spotlight from her. She clearly wants to eat me whole and alive, judging by the look on her face. In a quick movement,her hand brushed up against my cheek. My face was jerked to the side by the impact. Her hand brushed up against my cheek and I saw Victoria's luscious lips curled in satisfaction . The crowd chanted and cheered, "Cat fight! Cat fight!"

I never thought my Karma would pay me back this quickly.

"How dare you lay hand on my Ton- Ton?" She sassed.

My fingers were itching for revenge, wanting to lay my hand on her lovely face. My parents never hit me, ever. I feel as if my self-worth has been trampled, and any remaining self-esteem I have has vanished. My mother's words echo in my head: 'a fight will never be resolved with the other fighting back.' But just the thought of Victoria slapping me for no reason other than a guy is enough to flare up my silenced indignation.

I straighten up, stared at her direct in the eye. Her perfect pluck brows raised and eyed me charily. Gathering the left specs confidence I have, I stand up for myself. " I pity you," I said, "Willing to lower yourself for a guy who merely gives you value."

The corner of her lips faltered. She narrowed her eyes at me, "You bitch!" She screeched, charging her manicured fingers and digging into my flesh.

My hand lift to the air, ready to slap the reality and wake her up in her delusional state when somebody stop my hand mid-air. "Shit. Are you all right?" Ashton asked searching my face. His piercing eyes soften and his jaw tightened as he removed my hand off my cheek. If I don't know much, I'll misinterpret that look as if he cares- as if he was concern for me. But I know he's just faking it, deep down he's mocking me inside his head of how easy of a prey I am.

"This is too much, V." I heard him say.

"Why are you taking her side?! She hurts you." Victoria averred, stomping her foot childishly.

"He deserves it though." I mumbled to myself. He kissed me without permission!

"But that doesn't mean you have to hurt her as well; I'm sorry, but whatever happened between us is over."

"No!" Victoria exclaimed in hysterics. "You can't dump me that easily, and there's no way in hell I'll give you up without a fight; I know we can still mend our relationship, and remember what you promised me? I'll keep it until you're back in my arms."

So desperate.

She reached for him, but he brushed her off. Hurt flitted across her face, and Ashton shook his head in disbelief. He reached for my hand. As we moved to the school building, the crowd split in two.

"What are you all staring at? The show is over!" We heard Victoria spat to the crowd. Everyone quickly scrambled to their feet and walked away. From the corner of my eye, someone sought my attention. I saw Mia with Zonia and Luvelle standing near the entrance lobby. A tear roll down her cheek as her eyes darted on our intertwined fingers.

~•~

When we arrived in our homeroom, all eyes were on us as Ashton dropped my hand from his iron grip, leaving the warmth he provides. I proceeded to my seat in the fourth row, near the window, and placed my bag next to me. I sensed someone slumped on the chair next to mine.

"Don't mind them," he said, referring to the whispers and curious glances directed at us. I didn't mind him so much as I focused my gaze out the window.

"I didn't put you in that complicated situation on purpose, and your cheek," Ashton sighed. "'m sorry."

My gaze met his, and I could tell he was sincere. Look at him, he knows how to say sorry! "Did it ever occur to you that your impulsive action might destroy someone's life?" I asked quietly. Because of the stunt he pulled, he ruined my ideal first kiss, claimed that I was his girlfriend, and worse, Victoria will get her payback by tormenting my high school life.

"I thought you were giving me the silent treatment," he muttered. "That's why I'm sorry, and don't worry; the crowd doesn't seem convinced." His unbashed gaze roves over my body, studying my unfashionable ensemble of denim jeans and a white linen polo shirt with blue splatters on the sleeves. "Not unless you want it to be real," he added, his lips drawn up into an impish smirk.

"Right." I whispered flatly. "You could have chosen anyone. Why me of all people?"

"Let's just say that this is my form of accepting your friend request."

My ears perked up. "What?" I asked baffled. He rolled his eyes at me. I immediately covered my mouth as I realized I said it again. "You heard me."

What a strange approval could have resulted in humiliation and disaster? And wait. Friend request? I don't recall sending him a friend request. Realization struck through me and I nodded in understanding. "Oh, what happened to project 'dislike me?'" I joked, and he gave me a deadpan expression.

Psh. This guy is no fun. Wow.  Look who's talking. My mind sneered.

"Okay. Okay. It's official then," I said cheekily extending my hand in front of him. "Friends?"

He leaned on, rested his arms on his desk and eyed my hand warily.

"I won't slap you again." I chuckled. Instead of shaking my hand, he pulled out the violet bear resting beside him and faced it to me.

"We have identical hand print on our cheeks." He cooed and placed the hand of the stuff toy on my cheek, earning me to laugh harder.

Well at least everything is not bad after all reckoning that I get sorry from him. I think the slap I received was worth it considering I gain his trust and accepts me as his friend.

~•~
Hello beautiful people of wattpad! Thank you for the love and support guys! Hope you enjoy the early update.😁

More love,
🌸Jazz