7. Sharp

"Now, to collect myself. Only prince Kai remains." Heine said as we reached the door to the room belonging to the second prince. Kai is 17 years old, just like me. He is said to be a boy of few words and he rarely appears in public. He apparently got suspended after a violent episode at military academy, but when I first saw him in person today he didn't seem like someone who'd give in to violent acts. Heine and I knocked on the door at the same time, but there was no answer. "Is prince Kai in his room?" Heine asked a blonde maid that was walking by. "Huh?! Um, His Highness left a moment ago." "Do you know which way His Highness went?" "I'm sorry. I don't know." "If I may ask, what kind of person is prince Kai?" "Huh?" "Any details will do. What sorts of things does his Highness talk about?" "I-I don't know. I'm afraid I could never make conversation with prince Kai. Excuse me!" The blonde looked a bit nervous to me, maybe even a little scared. I sighed at this, could he really be that bad? Heine and I both looked at our timepieces at the same time. it was 3 o'clock, which meant we only had an hour to find Kai and to test him and his abilities. 

We started walking around the palace and ended up in the garden, walking in a fast pace as we suddenly saw something fluffy. A dog. He was beautifully white and he looked incredibly soft. The dog then came running towards us and stole Heine's ledger. We ran after the dog, trying to get his ledger back, but then we saw something lying in the grass. "A dead body in the palace courtyard?" Heine asked, a bit of a weird look on his face. When I looked at it better I saw that it was Kai, sleeping. Quite adorable to be honest. We sat next to him, on the ground and Heine took his ledger back from the dog. Then suddenly Kai shot up from the ground, grabbing Heine's right hand and my left hand, each in one of his hands. My heart forgot a beat once more, but just like the other times it felt like it was something good. He then pushed his thumbs down on our hands, slightly squishing it. "Soft. Soft... Oops." He then went over to the dog and stated petting him instead of us. Oops? Did he mean the grab the dog? "New.. teachers.." He already sees us at teachers then? That's a first. A soft smile became apparent on my face as I looked at Kai. "Good day. An afternoon nap, Your Highness?" Heine asked, still a bit careful. "I like it here." "It is rather tranquil." "Shadow." "Pardon?" "Shadow's a good dog." "I take it Shadow is this dog's name?" "I play here with Shadow all the time." Just like I thought. He doesn't seem violent or dangerous at all, just misunderstood. It's quite a difference from what I had heard. For a second it looked like he was glaring at us, but it didn't feel like glaring at all. "Sensei. that cloud.. looks like an apple." "Q-quite. Were you glaring at me, just now? Your Highness, are you ever assumed to be glaring when you aren't, due to your naturally sharp eyes?" "All the time." "As I suspected. You do not correct the mix up?" "I've always looked like this. I'm not a good talker. After a bad first impression, getting along won't happen." He told us. My smile changed to a sadder one as I heard those words. Just like I thought, indeed. "Prince.. By the by, why are you touching our hands?" Kai had indeed started squishing our hands again as we continued our conversation. "Soft." "Soft?" "I like soft things. Your hands are soft.. Shadow is soft, too. Senseis and Shadow.. soft.." He said as his face changed to the epitome of adorable. "Sensei.. Is that test for me?" "Ah, yes. Please complete this." Kai took the test and began writing down his answers as he sat underneath a tree. 

"Get.. lo..." Kai said again, making both Heine and I look up, snapping us out of our thoughts. "Prof.. along... Professors.. Hope we'll get along.." He said, finishing his sentence on the third try. Continuing what he had said on our first meeting. The smile that had been adorning my features grew wider as soon as he said it. "I see now that you didn't glare at us and are not hostile toward us either, prince Kai." Heine said. i can't believe he didn't notice earlier.. And he seemed like such a smart guy. "Shadow! Shadow!" A girly voice called from behind us. "There you are! Don't run off, you silly thing." Turning around i could see an adorable little blonde in a pink dress. The princess, I believe. "This is our little sister. Say hello to the new teachers." Kai stood up from his place underneath the tree. "How do you do? I'm Adele." "It is a pleasure to make you acquaintance, princess Adele." Heine and I said at the exact same time. "I am the royal tutor, Heine, and this is my assistant, Y/N." Heine continued. "Adele's a good girl." Kai said, patting the girls head. "And Shadow?" "Shadow's a good dog." He said, now using his other hand to pet Shadow as well. His gaze looked very gentle in that moment and I felt something change in me, however I did not now what. "Princess!" "Princess?" Voices could be heard from the distance. "They're calling for you." "OK! See you again, Heine-sensei, Y/N-sensei." "Senseis?" "Yes?" Our voices again overlapping. "I like you. You're the first teachers to talk to me.. Makes me happy." "Prince Kai.." "Senseis.. My brothers and I.. are in your care." "And we in yours. Please be in the reception hall at four. Today's lesson will begin only if all four of you are assembled." I said. that's when I noticed he was asleep again. I just hope he heard my message. Kai was quite as one would expect from a second prince. Gentle and mature, however, his communication skills might need to be polished a bit. We walked away a bit and then I saw Heine open his ledger. He grabbed some papers from it and ripped them apart. I recognized them to be files on the princes.

Heine's POV

Let this be a lesson for me! Instead of judging others based on rumors and gossip articles, I must look and feel for myself. You can not know anyone without coming face-to-face with them. I must start over from scratch. I ripped all the papers and threw them in the air as I continued walking with Y/N. She hadn't seemed very surprised when I asked if he's gaze was mistaken for glaring, like she had already known. Who is this curious woman? 

Kai's POV

I looked at my hand. Y/N.. She felt soft in a different way then other soft things feel and it was definitely something I wanted to feel again.

-----------------------

Hi!

I was sick today, terrible fever and headache. I spend the day in bed, reading fanfiction to try and forget the pain. that's one of the reasons this update is so late. It rained quite a lot as well, something that calmed me down quite a lot.

I have decided that from now on I'm not gonna repeat every single word that is said, because it gets tiring after a while and because reader-chan has her own story to tell as well. To optimize this I will stray from the story once in a while, but not by too much. 

Anyways, thank you for reading! It warms my heart to see that people actually read the bullshit I write, so thank you one again.

-Hunter J. King