5. Master

We had reached a big white door with golden decorations, just like every other door that we had past, but this time Heine knocked on the door. "Enter." A voice said at the other side of it. Heine pushed the doors open and we walked into the room of the third prince, Bruno. "Welcome, Royal Tutor, tutor's assistant. Have a seat." Bruno said, resting his face on his hands a bit. The room was very neat and full of books. If you had told me this was a library I would have believed it for sure. I hope that this prince will just take the test when we ask him to do so, because after the last one my patience has reduced quite a bit. "So? What do you want me to do?" Bruno asks us after we sat down, snapping me out of my thoughts. I'd like you to take a competency test." Heine said while taking out some papers. "Understood." That was fast. "Here. I've finished it." He said, handing back the test to Heine. OK, that was just too fast. It's only been one second. How has he written down all the answers already? I could tell that Heine was thinking the exact same thing I was and I had to repress a chuckle after I saw his face. "With all due respect, I should like to put your abilities to the test as well." "To the test?" "To assess the caliber of a royal tutor who hasn't gone to university. All of our tutors thus far have been less intelligent than me. I ask that you leave this post immediately if you prove to be no different." Bruno reasoned. That made a smirk crawl onto my face. I knew he wasn't talking to me, sadly, but even though I don't really know Heine, I do know that he's incredibly smart. However, I could feel that Heine was thinking about declining to take his test, which in my opinion is just like running away, although this might be a strategic retreat. "Also, I'm concerned. I never imagined the new royal tutor would be this small." Bruno said. Looking over at Heine I could see that he was fired up now. Ah, so that's his weak spot. He never really shows his emotions, but whenever anyone talks about his height he loses his composure. "I accept your challenge. Have at me!" "You must be relatively learned for the palace to employ you at all. Our duel of the minds will be through chess. One can see their opponent's level of intelligence, thought process, and personality all through their moves on the chessboard. I've never lost a match. I hope you're prepared for a challenge." He said while walking towards a bookshelf and grabbing a chessboard. My eyes lit up the moment I heard that they were going to do some chess, seeing as I always loved playing it. The only unfortunate thing being that I never could find a worthy opponent an always won incredibly fast. "Just the way I like it." Heine said as they started their game. As soon as the pieces were put down I saw every possible move from that moment on. Seeing how the entire game would play out before it even started. As soon as Bruno moved a piece, Heine would have moved his in less than a second. I guess Heine is like me, able to see every move. Bruno continued to think before he moved his pieces while Heine moved his in an instant. I think I might have found a worthy opponent or two. "I-Impossible.." "Checkmate." "How did I lose? This ended up like this, and this like this, and that.." Bruno mumbled as he looked at all the pieces closely. "Are you quite satisfied? Then we should be on our-" "Next! On to the next test!" "What? You have more? Laze.."He said lying down, accidentally putting his head on my lap. I felt it again, my heart missed a beat again, do I really have arrhythmia? "Don't relax yet. Are you serious about this? Could this tutor be an exception? No, it's too soon to say." Bruno said, whispering the last part to himself, but I caught it. "He definitely is a exception though." I said softly, but it seems like he didn't here me since he was still talking to himself. "I'll test him with less conventional means." He whispered to himself. Heine, however, had still not moved from my lap, as he was also thinking to himself. Oh, how I wish to just know what this man is thinking about. "I challenge you to mental arithmetic!" Bruno said. I watched as I saw Heine produce an incredible amount of answers within just seconds. Bruno was also working quite fast, but compared to Heine he was like a turtle to a cheetah. "I've finished." Heine said. "What?! You could have written in random numbers," He said while picking up Heine's papers to check them, "It's all correct!" He continued. They had a music contest, Bruno played violin and Heine played an incredible tune on many instruments at the same time. Next was luck as they played a game of poker. Heine showed his hand and it turned out to be a royal straight flush. He won another challenge. "What will the next challenge be?" A tower of card had erupted in front of me in the seconds that I took my eyes of Heine to look at Bruno. "A five-tier tower while I was thinking? How easy is this for you? My papers have been praised by scholars the world over. How can I be.. No, keep it together. Be proud of you intelligence! You won't lose to anyone in pure academic knowledge." "Pardon me, but you've been speaking your thoughts aloud." Then Bruno smacked a few papers on the table whilst saying: "Next, I'll have you take a test I created myself." "I need only finish this?" "One hundred difficult questions covering the field of mathematics, chemistry, history, geography and more. What's more, I wrote them in five random languages. Even you will have a hard time with-" "I've finished." Heine said after which Bruno took the papers to see how Heine did. "It's all correct.." "By the way, I found one misspelling in the language of Fonsein in question fifty-seven. I marked it in red for you. Are you alright?"