Chapter - 25

"What if I don't want to do it? What if I don't want to be part of your...  mission?" Evangeline asked with her arms folded.

"Everybody dies. The guilt of 7 billion deaths will fall on your shoulders." Alex deadpanned, making Evangeline gulp.

"Evangeline, I know this is too much for a 19 year old. But it's part of your destiny. It's something you can't run away from." Alexa hugged her.

"What-What about my family?  And my-my friends?" Evangeline's voice cracked as she managed to say those words. "I just-i just need to talk to them. Just once. Please Alexa. I have to say goodbye to my family."

"I'm afraid that's a sacrifice you'll have to make, Evangeline. We're compromised. You're family thinks you're---" Alex spoke but was cut by Alexa.

"You might put them in danger by going there or talking to them. It's better if they know less. Zelroth already has you on his tabs, he's keeping a very close eye on you. One mistake, and the ones you love will end up suffering." Alexa said. "So you're coming with us."

Evangeline nodded with tears in her  eyes and sat on the chair, farther away from Alex and Alexa. She closed her eyes as she felt the weight of the earth fall on her shoulders. Lost in a mixture of emotions, she held her tears back but instead sparks of electricity came shooting through the room, nearly hurting Alexa.
Evangeline gasped. She almost hurt the person who helped her the most since she came here.

"I-I'm Sorry. I didn't mean.." Evangeine stuttered and tried help Alexa up. But Alexa threw her hands away.. "Monster. You're a monster." Alexa screamed at her. Suddenly Alex, Samantha, Jason, Sasha, Elina, all of them screamed at her.  She kept on going back until she fell over something. She turned and saw her mother's dead body. "You killed me." she whispered. Evangeline screamed her lungs out. "I didn't do it!  I didn't do it!"

"Evangeline! Evangeline!!!" Evangeline opened her eyes, screaming with tears rolling down her face. Alex held her steadily, trying to stop her from hurting anyone with her unstable abilities. "I didn't do it! "

"Evangeline!"  Alex screamed, bringing her back to her senses. "It's not real. He's toying with your head. You're just hallucinating." he whispered into her ear. She slowly gained her clear vision and looked away from him. She gulped in realization - 'She is becoming a monster, a lunatic'

Evangeline sat there on the chair. Numb. She couldn't or didn't want to move. Her eyes moved slowly, examining the room. It was messy. She did it. The chamber door opened, revealing Alexa holding Adalia. Their faces flushed with terror.  Evangeline tried to remember when had Alexa even got out. It felt as if someone had stolen a fragment of her life.

Before Alexa could say anything, Evangeline started shivering violently. Alex looked at her with concern, "Evangeline, DON'T FALL ASLEEP. " Alex  immediately paged Dr. Smith after touching her pale and cold skin. He took his jacket off and covered her exposed skin. He quickly picked her up bridal style to the nearest room. "Alexa get me warm blankets and dry clothes."

Alexa stood in front of the door. Traumatized. The last time she saw this happen  was 13 years ago.  The Events weren't exactly the same just similar symptoms and side effects. When her brother had his first hallucination after he gained the power of the Gerldrix. She froze at a memory. A memory that came back. Something she tried to bury. Alex wouldn't do it, she told herself. It was not his fault. She shouldn't have-

"Alexa take the kid away and bring the clothes and blankets. " Alex ordered. "Alexa!" Alexa broke off her trance. Alexa nodded. "Dammit! " Alex cursed. "Evangeline's body temperature decreasing."

"Moderate hypothermia." Alexa said as her mind travelled back to when it happened to Alex.

They were young.