Chapter 6: Limelight

Start from the beginning

I stopped walking as soon as I noticed Larissa staring at me, her narrowed eyes shooting daggers dipped in venom. The smile dropped from my face and the light, airy feeling from a few moments ago dissipated entirely. She crossed her arms and said something to Clara who pressed her lips together and looked away. I hung my head and carried on walking, trying not to let them get to me.

"Which Uni are you thinking of going to?"

I jerked away from Larissa in surprise. Was this an actual conversation?

"Oh, me? I— I don't know yet," I stammered. 

I kept the Canterbridge pamphlet out of her sight. This was not good. Larissa had another motive for talking to me, she couldn't be civil without a reason, and especially not to me.

"I'm interested in business, so I'm going to check out some of the stands here."

"Um, okay." 

I turned around and sped out of the hall. I'd just tell Joshua at home. It was too risky talking to him when Larissa was keeping an eye on me anyway. Maybe being seen with Kai was going to make my life even harder. My ankle tingled and I slowed my pace. I had a free period next, so I decided to read in library until it was time for the next lesson. Hopefully there wouldn't be too many people in there.

As I slowly walked down the hall, someone grabbed my arm tightly and I turned, wincing. Larissa's hazel eyes greeted me and she grinned, her straight teeth on show. Her smile looked menacing, and it was so wide that I could see bits of food stuck on her bottom teeth. 

"Where are you off to?" she exclaimed. Her face wore a friendly mask, but I saw the disgust in her eyes. Larissa was angry. She blinked a couple of times and her smile grew even wider. She looked like a deranged catwalk model. Resting her free hand on her hip, a gesture she reserved for friends and crushes, she tilted her head to the side coyly. 

I felt more afraid of Larissa now, than I ever had before. She'd had a troubled childhood, her mother was rumoured to have attempted suicide several times when Larissa was young, but no one knows why. She eventually ran away when Larissa was twelve, and her father remarried. His second wife filed for divorce after only two months, and Larissa took it hard apparently. Her current stepmother worked abroad most of the time. I don't know how she felt about that. 

"Just going to the library," I replied. My voice wasn't quiet, but it wasn't shining with courage either.

Larissa's laugh started normally enough, but ended with a mocking edge. She was taunting me without even speaking.

"Oh, no surprise there then, right?" she said candidly, and bit the tip of her tongue. One perfectly arched eyebrow raised up as she smiled at me. Larissa looked evil, as if she was baiting me to say something back. Her grip on my arm was strong and my fingers started to throb.

There was a crowd gathering, and I heard some nervous giggles. The university event was over and everyone should be going to their lessons now. Instead they were watching the show. I glanced around at the crowd and frowned. The energy felt different this time, it was almost as if they were waiting for us to start fighting. Only the chanting was missing. 

Clara winked at Larissa as she waved daintily from the sidelines. Typical of Clara, supporting her so called friend enough, without actually getting fully involved. Her manipulative ways were always overlooked by Larissa, because I guess hanging out with the richest girl in Elmer's was worth it. Clara's parents owned a successful jewellery company and had lived in the area for many years. She was filthy rich and spoilt heavily, being the youngest of three siblings. The thought made me angry, and I fumed at the unfairness of life, of how some people had it so easy while others struggled to survive.