#238

(Long mushy shit up ahead, warning, tissues will be needed). 

---

Do you ever think that sometimes people on the ship are greeted in their dreams by not their lost loved ones, but other's? 

Martin Stein finding himself standing in what looks like a hospital, with a tall dark man that he instantly recognizes as Jefferson's father, who tells him how gratefully he is for the professor being the surrogate father he could never be for his son. 

Jax waking up in Star Labs, working alongside Ronnie Raymond on some engineering project neither of them can name. Ronnie asks him to watch over 'the old man' as he disappears, with a soft smile, before gone in a wisps of ash and sparks.  

Nate Heywood walking through the old JSA building alongside Rex Tyler, both of them talking about Amaya and the former promising the latter that he'll always be there for her no matter what. "Good," Is Rex's only answer. 

Amaya is sitting on the edge of the lake with a person she doesn't recognise, both of them throwing stones and laughing. It's when the other one turns to her, her laughter forming into a bittersweet grin, and the sentence "Take care of my kid," that Amaya notices how much her eyes look like Nate's. 

Sara Lance only knows who the little blond boy and the pretty dark haired woman are because of that one photo she's seen. She doesn't really understand what's going on when the child hugs her and the woman does the same, but she returns it anyway. 

Rip is surprised when one of his nightmares suddenly changes into a rooftop where he collected the Legends. He's not as surprised when the woman makes her way to him. "She's happy," He automatically says. Laurel Lance smiles back. "I know." 

Mick Rory has never seen the short, blond girl that punches him in the arm with a sharp angry yell, yet he doesn't dare lash out. "Hurt him again and I'll haunt your ass," she spits, engagement ring gleaming. Mick has never seen this girl, but he smirks either way. "Don't worry, Haircut's safe." 

Ray did not expect to see Leonard Snart in his dreams, and he definitely did not expect him to personally pass his cold gun unto him, willingly. "Why?" He splutters. "Because someone's got to keep the hot head from burning the universe," Leonard drawls carelessly, yet his eyes are overly bright as he talks. 

When they all ask why they're with them instead of their loved ones the ghosts answers are one in the same. 

"They don't need us anymore, but they still need you." 

Worth the pain to write. 

Also, I wasn't talking about Nate's mother, but his grandmother, who in my head died pretty early, just when Nate was only maybe a couple months old.