Hidden Strings

Without a break, we continue on. Azura explains the situation of Valla. "Valla was once a kingdom like Hoshido and Nohr. With their own dragon to worship. However, the kingdom was destroyed by the dragon they paid worship to, as he became unstable." She said. "Dragons?" Xander wondered. "Yes. Each nation used to worship a dragon. Hoshido had the Dawn Dragon. Nohr had the Dusk Dragon. And Valla had Anankos, the current ruler of Valla, and the one that destroyed it." She said. "Then why does Father worship Anankos, and not the Dusk Dragon?" Leo asked. Azura was silent for a moment. "I doubt there is any of King Garon left. The man you call Father is no more than a mere puppet to Anankos." She said. "What?!" Xander shouted. "Anankos has the ability to control the bodies of the dead, as well as the living. Even for a short period of time, his presence is very corrupting." She told him. "That damned dragon will pay for this." Leo growled. "How do you know all of this, Azura?" Ryoma asked. Again, a moment of silence. "I know this because I am a princess. A Vallite princess to be precise." She told us. "What?!" Ryoma was alarmed. "Anankos killed my father, the former king of Valla, so my mother took me to Nohr where we would be safe." She said. "Your mother..." I wonder. "Queen Arete." Camilla said. "Yes. She was my mother who married into the Nohrian royal family." She said with a nod. "And what about Corrin? I have a feeling she's more than just a princess from Hoshido and Nohr." I say and look to Ryoma. "You know, don't you?" I asked. This put a lot of pressure on him, but he didn't flinch. "If you're the eldest son of Queen Mikoto, then you came before Corrin. Is she really a princess of Hoshido?" I asked again. "No. She is not." He said. I smile. "Explain please." I tell him. "Queen Mikoto, my step-mother, was not from Hoshido. She wasn't born there. She was born here. In Valla." He said. "And that would make Corrin..." I let my sentence trail off for him to finish. "A princess of Valla." He said. "I thought something was fishy about you guys." I said. "Azura. You had an auntie named Mikoto, correct?" I asked. "Yes. I did. And she is, in fact, from Valla." This surprised the entirety of the Hoshidan royal family. "You knew this Ryoma?!" Hinoka asked, and Ryoma just nodded. "Then, that means she's not our blood sister, but a half sister?" Takumi asked. "Not necessarily. You and Sakura are Mikoto's children, while Ryoma and Hinoka are that of the first wife King Sumeragi married." I explained to them. This was a surprise to Corrin as well. "How would you know that?" She asked. I shrug. "I do my homework." I said. "Then, who's my father, if it's not King Sumeragi?" She asked. "Eeh...I haven't figured that part out yet." I said. "Aahh!! Help me! Somebody! Anybody!!" We heard a scream. We hear this, and run forward, seeing a small boy being attacked by Vallite soldiers. "We need to help him." Corrin said and ran up to him. She swung her sword at them, killing them all. "Are you okay?" She asked. "More! More are coming!" He shouted, and pointed behind her. We catch up and start a battle.

The objective was to escape in 20 turns or defeat the boss on the other island. "Hell no. It'd be faster if we just escaped." I told Corrin. "Yeah. Let's do that." She agreed, and we had Ryoma go forward first, since he was untouchable. We all followed close behind him, taking out any enemies who come at us in the back. Finally, we escaped, and ran. This battle was short, but that's a good thing.

Once we were in the clear, the boy introduced himself as Anthony. He was a page for Anankos, and ran away because he didn't want to be around him. He also agreed that he would lead us to the castle where Anankos is. But to me, this seemed too convenient. Before we followed him, I grabbed Corrin by the shoulder. "Hold on. He just agreed to take us to Anankos, right after he just ran away from him. Don't you find this the least bit suspicious?" I asked her. "No. You heard his story. He said he wanted to help us defeat Anankos." She said. "You're too trusting. A health amount of suspicion ought to do you some good." I sighed, and let her follow Anthony. But I wouldn't let my guard down. If he so much as tried to touch Corrin, I will stop him.

Note: If you look on the wiki of Fire Emblem Fates, it says Ryoma knew that Mikoto wasn't from Hoshido, but from Valla. Only Ryoma and King Sumeragi knew this. Mikoto came to Hoshido while pregnant with the Avatar inside her. As for her birth father, that will be explained at the end.