Chapter 37: Center of the Web II

Magsimula sa umpisa

"At bakit kami pa ang may utang na loob sa 'yo?" Jamie spat. Lalong napahigpit ang kapit niya sa akin. "Matapos ang pinagdaanan namin sa isa sa mga galamay mo, do you think that we will share a table with you? You do not sit with us!"

Napatawa na lang ang lalaking nakasalamin. "Who called that rogue agent to stop him from whipping Loki and bring your friend to the hospital immediately? Who sent someone to stop that madness? If it weren't for me, Loki would have been more physically hurt than he is now and you girls might have had an unpleasant experience."

No, it was not you. It was Luthor. Stop taking all the credit!

"I deserve some credit for your rescue. An expression of gratitude will be much appreciated," Stein insisted. "Will you still refuse my gesture of goodwill?"

"Whatever you did won't change anything," Loki spoke coldly, his words sent shivers down my spine. "You are still a monster. We don't drink tea with monsters."

"Ouch," the young criminal mastermind touched his chest. "Your words wound me."

"Enjoy your cup of tea by yourself. I hope you don't get poisoned," Loki said before turning to us. "Lorelei, Jamie, let's go."

"No..." bulong ko.

"Hmm?" Parehong napatingin sa akin sina Loki at Jamie. Stein only shot a sideward glance.

"I hate to say it but we owe Stein a great deal of favor," sabi ko. I meant none of those words. "As long as he won't try to poison our tea, I see nothing wrong about his suggestion."

"Fret not! I won't do such thing," Stein assured.

Confused, Loki's eyes narrowed into slits. "Are you out of your mind? You wanna fraternize with the enemy?"

"He saved us. That's a fact. No matter how many bad acts a person did, we should never overlook the good ones."

With a clenched jaw, Loki glared at the criminal mastermind. "I did not know that you possess some hypnotism skills. Is that how you managed to change Lorelei's mind?"

Itinaas ni Stein ang kanyang mga kamay kasabay ng mabagal na pag-iling. "Believe me, I did not do anything to her. But she has a point. Let's set aside the 'evils' that I have done and pretend that we are best buddies sharing a table and drinking tea. What do you think, Lorelei? Madali lang naman 'yon, 'di ba?"

Nagkatitigan kaming dalawa ni Loki. I could see the disbelief etched on his face. Huwag kang mag-aalala. Hindi pa ako nabe-brainwash ni Moriarty. I hope my colleague understands that this is an opportune moment. Repugnant, yes. But if we want to know more about our enemy, Stein's proposal would be the perfect chance.

I gave a nod to Loki, mentally telling him to trust me. Napapikit na lang siya bago hinarap si Stein. "Fine. But don't get a wrong impression about it. You are still a monster and our enemy."

"May I suggest my favorite tea shop—"

"Our choice, not yours," Loki cut him short. "We won't let you control the rules of the game."

"Fine! Fine!" Stein raised both hands in surrender. "Your choice."

Sinimulan na namin ang paglalakad patungo sa tea shop na sinasabi ni Jamie. Loki led the squad, Stein was in the middle, while Jamie and I were at the back. Sa paningin siguro ng iba, mukha kaming squad goals.

Biglang hinawakan ni Jamie ang braso ko at bumulong sa aking kanang tenga. "What were you thinking, Lorie? Bakit ka pumayag na makasama natin ang lalaking 'yan? You know how much Loki hates him!"

"May dahilan kaya ako sumang-ayon sa proposal niya." Kinailangan ko ring hinaan ang boses ko upang hindi marinig ni Stein. "Do you really think that I will let him share a table with us? No. But we can't let this opportunity pass. We have to make the most out of it."