fιfтєєи

нαяяу

April and I walked to the table together. I pulled out a chair for her; she blushed and sat down. I found a chair next to her and sat down as well.

"Why'd you do that?" she whispered to me.

"What? I'm not allowed to be a gentleman?" I asked innocently.

April looked past me and spotted her father, who was watching us intently. She smiled at him and then gave me a knowing look.

I'd heard of overprotective fathers in books and movies, but I didn't actually expect them to be like that in real life.

The chair next to me scraped the ground and I glanced over to see April's cousin, Riley, pulling the chair out. She saw me looking and blushed.

From across the table, Wendy gave April and me a look, but April pointedly ignored her and I just raised my eyebrows.

"So," one of April's aunts (I don't remember who it was; she's got too many) said. She looked at the two of us. "How'd this happen?"

April smiled a little, looking away in embarrassment. "We just met, Aunt Jane."

"I find that hard to believe," Jane said. "The boy's famous; you don't 'just meet' someone famous."

April rolled her eyes, but I smiled. I liked Jane.

"I was lost and asked her for directions," I explained.

"Why'd you choose her?" an uncle butted in.

"She looked the nicest," I answered honestly. She also looked the most likely to not ask me the question, I added in my head, but didn't mention it out loud. I didn't want April to feel guilty.

Another aunt opened her mouth, looking to ask something, but April gave her a look, and the aunt closed her mouth again.

April's mom plus a few more aunts and uncles came from the kitchen, all holding either food or plates plus cutlery. They set them down on the table and went back into the kitchen, to get more food, obviously.

April stood up and went back to help them. I followed her; I would've felt uncomfortable alone with her entire family.

"You didn't have to come," she said softly, picking up a plate of ham.

"I wanted to help you," I said, grabbing a bowl with mashed potatoes.

She laughed. "And you didn't want to be all alone with my family."

I grinned. "That too."

"I guess I can't blame you," she said. "They're very weird and don't know about a thing called personal space."

We walked out and placed the food on the table, then going back to help some more. Once the table was all set and we said the blessing (they were Christian I guess), we were allowed to eat.

The food was great, and the dessert was even better. They had these little jello cup things that you could put whipped cream on... Yum. I love jello.

After dinner was finished, I helped April and her family clear the table. Riley wanted to help too, but accidentally tripped and dropped a glass.

"I'm so sorry!" she gushed, bending down to help clear it.

"Riley, don't touch the glass," Wendy said sternly as April went and retrieved the broom. "I don't want you to hurt yourself."

So I guess she isn't completely heartless.

I gently grabbed the broom from April's grip and started sweeping up the glass. We made sure everyone avoided the area after I was finished sweeping, though; you never know, I could've missed a piece.

"Is it over yet?" I asked April when the kitchen was all cleaned up.

She laughed. "Eager, are we? No, we always finish with a tractor ride."

"Tractor ride? That's... interesting."

She rolled her eyes. "We don't have to go on it, if you don't want to."

"No, I'll go, it's just, I've never been on a tractor ride before."

"Well, you're not missing out on much." April shrugged. "Almost everyone's out there already."

We grabbed our coats and shoes and headed out to the tractor. Two of April's uncles were attaching a trailer to it.

"The two lovebirds showed up!" another cousin of April's teased. April stuck her tongue out at him before climbing up on the trailer. I followed.

I was a little apprehensive about the trailer, since it looked old and not very stable, but it was pretty fun once it started rolling. April's parent's house was near the outskirts of London, where it wasn't totally populated and the roads weren't very busy.

When we got back, everyone's face was rosy red from the cold and wind whipping at our faces. Everyone looked happy, though, which was good.

"Are we ready to head home now?" April asked, and I nodded. We started walking to her car when she said, "Oh, I need to say bye to my parents."

"Okay," I said. "I'll wait here."

She smiled and then walked into the house.

"You're lucky to have her."

I whirled around and found Wendy, leaning against a car.

"Why do you say that?" I demanded.

"She's a good girl," Wendy continued. "She's nice, compassionate, cares about others. I'm so thankful that she's my niece."

"What do you want?" I asked, knowing there was a catch.

"Look, I screwed up," she said. "Yeah, I made a lot of money and enjoyed it, but it was the wrong thing to do. I'm sorry."

"You're forgiven," I said curtly. Despite her apology, I still disliked her.

Wendy looked like she was going to say something else, but April came out of the house, a smile on her face.

"Don't hurt her, alright?" Wendy asked.

"I'm not planning on it," I replied, turning around and getting into the driver's seat.

"I can drive us home," April insisted, buckling up.

"I know, but you drove all the way here," I said, backing out of the lane way. "I'm doing you a favour."

"Fine," she said, but she looked happy and didn't push it. "Dad says he likes you."

"Did he now?"

April nodded. "Yeah. Well, he said he wouldn't mind you as a son-in-law, but with Dad, that's the same thing."

I laughed.

She yawned, turning on the radio.

"You tired?" I asked, and she nodded. "Have a nap. It's a long drive home."

"I know," she said, resting her head against the seat and closing her eyes.

_____________________________________________

Originally I didn't know if I would update today, since I was going up to my cousin's house, but my mom pulled something and then we didn't go, so voila! An update.

Also, if anyone reading this is also reading Famous, I apologize. I did write a full chapter, but Wattpad deleted some of it, and I didn't know that when I posted the first chapter, so I took it down. I don't know when I'll have the first chapter up again, since I have to rewrite some of it and that's exhausting work ;)

I have Timmy's right now, I bet you're jealous.

I don't know if anyone actually reads this stuff, but whatever. :) Have a nice day!

xx